Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2012, 09:15 PM

How soon is too soon.

It's been 6 weeks since Sweep died, and the amount i miss him is just insane. I'm desperate for another cavvie in my life/have book marked loads in rescues, breeders etc. At first I think i was trying to find another Sweep, but I'm starting to think i just can't live without a CKC...

It's not something i'm going to rush into, but I'm a bit unsure as to wether getting another CKC (and it would inevitably be a blenhiem) is the right thing.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by EmmiS View Post
It's been 6 weeks since Sweep died, and the amount i miss him is just insane. I'm desperate for another cavvie in my life/have book marked loads in rescues, breeders etc. At first I think i was trying to find another Sweep, but I'm starting to think i just can't live without a CKC...

It's not something i'm going to rush into, but I'm a bit unsure as to wether getting another CKC (and it would inevitably be a blenhiem) is the right thing.
I do not think there is an answer to this.

It has only been a week since I lost Twiggy and I am not expecting to get another dog until next year.

The reason for this is due to work and extra curricular commitments which i need to wind down so that I have the extra time and energy available for a new pup.

I got Twiggy, 10 days after I lost her aunt to torsion just before she turned 5.

One thing I personally learned from this experience was that, FOR ME, it is better to have A N Other breed other than the one I just lost.

So, I already know what my next breed will be, and if I lost Arrow tomorrow (God Forbid) I would not have another GSD.

For me, personally, I need the extra space that another breed affords me.

So whilst I am sure I will have another GSD, I would not get one without another breed inbetween, does that make sense?

But we are all different.

What is right for one person is not for another, etc.

Only you can decide.

Not much help am I?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2012, 09:37 PM
I lasted from 23rd to 26th September without a dog after Teagan died!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2012, 09:42 PM
There is nothing to stop you doing some research into breeders/rescues whilst you decide.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2012, 10:03 PM
Rosie came home a week after I lost my precious boy, Sam.

She is a different breed. Sam was a Border Collie and Rosie is a Border Terrier. It was a deliberate choice to get a Border Terrier rather than another Collie, but was based on size and requirements rather than not wanting another of the same breed (if that makes sense)

I just couldn't live without another dog in my life and, while my Husband was reticent at bringing in another so soon, he now says it was the best decision we could have made, but, of course, what's right for one isn't necessarily right for another
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2012, 10:19 PM
We started looking for our next dog just days after Rupert died. Same after Shadow died. I feel absolutely lost without a dog.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this, it's so dependent on the individual.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
We started looking for our next dog just days after Rupert died. Same after Shadow died. I feel absolutely lost without a dog.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this, it's so dependent on the individual.

I agree with Sarah - everyone is different, but the important thing is not to feel guilty, or that it is too soon. Also, a great many people never deviate from their chosen breed and it doesn't mean that you are looking for another Sweep, just that you love the characteristics of that breed.

You will never forget him, but a new dog will help to heal the gaping hole left by him.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-07-2012, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
[/B]

I agree with Sarah - everyone is different, but the important thing is not to feel guilty, or that it is too soon. Also, a great many people never deviate from their chosen breed and it doesn't mean that you are looking for another Sweep, just that you love the characteristics of that breed.

You will never forget him, but a new dog will help to heal the gaping hole left by him.
I agree

I got my Springer (Fingal) after loosing my previous Springer (Beau) and whilst he was a carbon copy - his own little personality came through in no time at all.

I lost Fingal at 13 years a couple of weeks ago and it's probably fair to say that if he was my only dog - I'd be looking for another right now.

When we got our current 3rd dog (Breagh as a puppy) Skye and Fingal were 8 years old and the long term plan was always to revert back to 2 but with an age gap as time went by.

Breagh is now 5 and Skye almost 14

I will wait till we're down to just 1 dog (I suspect Breagh) before looking for another 2nd.

I've always been waiting for a Deerhound but now I have no Springer.

It's a bit like always waiting for a pair of roller skates but then realising you don't have any shoes.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2012, 11:18 PM
I think it's entirely up to how you feel. I waited for just over 2 weeks before I got Guinness after Holly died. I didn't really wnt to but my hubby persuaded me to go and look. It was the best thing I ever did.
The way I thought about it was that it was in honour of Holly as she was such a beautiful greyhound that she made me want another
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-07-2012, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post

I totally agree with this.

I have not experienced losing a dog yet (Guinness is my first), but over the years I have lost a number of cats and I have never actively sought to get another cat after one died. As I used to be loosely involved with a local rescue, a cat in need would just turn up and I would take them in.

Following Tyr's death at the end of April I am now totally cat free for the first time in my life, and the house feels strangely empty without at least one. I am no longer actively involved in rescue due to a combination of the time and commitment involved in being carer for my other half and my own health issues, and so there is not really much chance of a needy cat just "turning up" this time.

However, I just cannot face actually looking for another cat. It feels too much like I am trying to replace Tyr.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >