Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-06-2011, 02:19 PM

A breed for every task ..

So there is a breed for every task we require right ?
So no need for new breeds???
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 02:24 PM
This can be said yes but then it could have been said a long while ago but new breeds have been created. The point is that there is not a breed for every want.

This can also be taken a step further though, some breeds no longer have the purpose they were bred for. So why carry on breeding them at all now? Why not just let the breed die out?

Answer because people dont want to and why should they?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 02:46 PM
I cannot think of a job we do not have a breed for...

That being said - that does not stop people wanting a different 'breed' (read look) for the same job.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Lots of people adopt dogs as companions, not for any other specific task, so don't see why people can't create new companion breeds. However, I think if they're doing this then temperament and health should definately be their priority - afterall, people want friendly, healthy pet dogs. Definately don't agree with designer dogs bred just as a gimmick, they're not a new breed, they're crossbreeds, and should be sold as such!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 05:51 PM
I have no problem with people wishing to create new breeds if they so wish to do so, AS LONG AS they do it properly and they take all the responsibility that comes with it, that is producing many dogs that do not fit into their desired criteria.
On a personal note I would love a black and tan bulldog type which, as far as I'm aware, doesn't exist so if I had the resources I may well consider producing one. I would also love a small cobby plush coated spitz type breed which also doesn't exist and again if I had the resources I would love to try to produce such a dog (I've already written the breed standard for that one!!).
So by all means, create a new breed, but do it properly and responsibly and start off with a breed standard, don't mix and match and make it up as you go along!!
Becky

p.s. would also love a merle poodle
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I have no problem with people wishing to create new breeds if they so wish to do so, AS LONG AS they do it properly and they take all the responsibility that comes with it, that is producing many dogs that do not fit into their desired criteria.
On a personal note I would love a black and tan bulldog type which, as far as I'm aware, doesn't exist so if I had the resources I may well consider producing one. I would also love a small cobby plush coated spitz type breed which also doesn't exist and again if I had the resources I would love to try to produce such a dog (I've already written the breed standard for that one!!).
So by all means, create a new breed, but do it properly and responsibly and start off with a breed standard, don't mix and match and make it up as you go along!!
Becky

p.s. would also love a merle poodle
Gargoyle bulldogs ..

Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 07:30 PM
That last picture is so weird! The poor dog looks like an invisible man has just booted him up his bum!

We talk about "jobs for dogs" but most dog buyers really just want a pet in my opinion. That's where the problems may start as they buy a dog that has a clear need of a "job" to do, and do not provide the necessary mental and physical stimulation.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
That last picture is so weird! The poor dog looks like an invisible man has just booted him up his bum!
That just had me in hysterics! It looks like the poor dog is going to have a very heavy landing too!

There probably is a breed for everything we require, and if not we could possibly train another breed to fulfill the precise role we as an individual need. Trouble is that sometimes it's hard to find a breed that still has a desire to do what it was originally bred for so, instead of being disillusioned by the dilution of a breed, create it again.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 12:47 PM
I always wondered if you bred all the breeds of a certain group together - perfect dog!

Take the gundogs for example they already have an attempt to do it: Korthals Griffon

Korthals' dream was to create the ideal versatile gun dog; one with extreme resiliency, vigor, and devotion to its master. The dog would also have to work close to its master, and be open to training.
So it has been attempted before..
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Magnificent beast Murf!! Clearly has rottie in there. However, I would like a rose eared one the size of a frenchie in black and tan!!
Becky
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >