View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-11-2010, 04:28 PM
I like John Lewis it's one of my favourite shops and when I first saw the ad I did do a bit of a double take at the dog being outside in the snow but it's only an advert it's not real but I do think it's sending out a bit of a mixed message, on the one hand the dog is outside alone in the snow in his kennel implying that he's not really one of the family and on the other hand the little boy brings him out his stocking including him in the festivities. I just thought the admen were a tad confused themselves tbh but it doesn't affect how I treat my dogs and although mine are inside in the warm they don't get anything for xmas, no stocking, no pressies, nothing. It's an advert, nothing more.
Cocopop
New Member!
Female 

16-11-2010, 04:33 PM
I don't like it at all and I think it could give the message to the few that are inclined to neglect their dog and leave it outside that its ok to do that. I think it's kind of normalising the fact that the dog is kept outside in the snow and thats ok.

Makes me a bit sad
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Personally I have no problem with it, it's just an advert for goodness sake and not a directive on how people should live their lives!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Well, here's my opinion, fend or please......

I hate it - it's moronic..... gives the wrong message, and makes me want to NEVER shop in JL ever again.

There, I said it!

Angry of Croydon
LillyRose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-11-2010, 08:53 PM
When I first saw the advertisement I felt a little uneasy, it does kind of send a subliminal message that dogs can be shunted off out of the way at Christmas.

This was my earlier point, Mini.

I'm not saying anyone is cruel.It seems as though I have said this because I haven't gone on to say that I find it cruel - I don't.My point about dogs outside was aimed at the dreaded time-of-year-puppies, the advert falls on Anyone in rescue knows these next few months and after can be difficult.It has also been said this Winter will be a very cold one.I also said before that adverts/films etc with dogs in around this time, will always get my goat.

When I first saw it, I expected the boy to be bringing the dog in, so when it got to attaching the stocking I was like

Though on closer thought earlier, perhaps JL's aim was to make the point of dogs at xmas a positive and the british public are now slating it.Perhaps poor JL's message hasn't succeeded

Sorry,it's just me,I watched it as if it was Scarlett and it just made me emotional.It was said in a recent thread small dogs aren't to be kept outside.It's my dim fault for not perceiving it properly.
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-11-2010, 08:54 PM
The first time I saw it I thought poor doggie, out in the cold when everyone is all cosy indoors.

But thats as far as it went- didn't make me hate the advert and I'll still shop in John lewis.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 09:29 PM
Didn't think twice about it THB. It's an advert, end of.
SibeVibe
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by one.eyed.dog View Post
On the other end of the scale. I don't think it is right to keep a husky in a centrally heated house. Their coat is good for -30 and if I had one it would live outside in a kennel/shed. A well built one but, not insulated against cold.
didn't half giggle when I looked at my lot curled up on the sofa

They have access to a huge outside run but chose to come inside, usually to hog the fire And as you said they are all equally capable of surviving in arctic conditions

OT - the advert did not sit right with me either.

Take care.

Seoniad.
Delos
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-11-2010, 10:44 PM
It's a TV add full of Metaphors about Christmas. It's not a documentary about dog care.

Take it for what it is a fun TV add. There is plenty of actual real life animal neglect and abuse out there worth getting worked up about rather than worrying about a TV add.
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-11-2010, 11:19 PM
First impression - made me smile. The boy took a stocking out to the dog, showing that he's thinking about him at christmas -dog is part of the family.

After a few seconds consideration - the dog needs to be outside so that the boy can be shown to be making the effort to go outside with the stocking -dog is part of the family.
Page 4 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »