Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2024, 07:47 AM

Sunday 7th January 2024

Morning all. Hope you had a good day yesterday and evening. I am in a real quandary. Husband hasn't left a will so no idea what happens now about when he passes on. At the moment he is in hospital and the staff are looking into moving him to a care home of some sort.He has very bad dementia. Hey ho. Why don't people write a will when they can? All I have are various bits of paper with him writing that he leaves it to me but he hasn't signed any of them.
Anyway have a good day everyone.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-01-2024, 10:21 AM
Morning brenda and all to follow not sure if it is the same but when my SIL died my brother and her had been divorced for many years by then, so the house was for my nieces.
They had to go down the probate route and it was very quick and easy.

Sunny and very cold here.

Have a good day everyone.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2024, 12:22 PM
If there's no will and you aren't divorced Brenda, I think it goes to you....unless he has a will lodged with a solicitor or a family member, it will have to go through probate I guess but I imagine it will pass to you as you are legally his next of kin.
We too have sunshine Lynn....very nice here!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2024, 12:23 PM
Good afternoon all

Lovely sunny day, but oh so cold with the north east wind. We were absolutely freezing by the end of it

Brenda, if you are divorced, his assets will go to his children. If not, they will go to you.

Me thinks a shower to warm up, then reading. Not much else planned for this afternoon
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2024, 01:45 PM
Good afternoon everyone

I think everyone is right Brenda, if not divorced then you inherit if you are it is his children/. I know when my father died only my sister and I were alive as next of kin and it all went through smoothly.

It was cold and sunny this morning now it has clouded over. Teazle walked, washing washed dried and iron and a couple of hours leaf clearing done. Now coffee and a rest for the afternoon.

Take care everyone
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2024, 02:04 PM
Afternoon all

Brenda If not divorced 100% will you go to you. If divorced children.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2024, 03:37 PM
No not divorced just living separately. The hospital has me down as next of kin but I think there might be problems with one of his sister's. Suffice to say most of his siblings don't like me now. I am reading a book called Last day of school by Jack Sheffield. I have just checked the forecast and tomorrow shows a snowflake.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2024, 04:55 PM
It really doesn't matter what they like or dislike. I am pretty sure that, unless divorced, you inherit. I don't understand their problem, Brenda. They won't gain no matter what and eventually (but not for a long, long time I hope), your children will inherit anyway
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2024, 05:55 PM
Yeah Brenda, what Chris said....they can contest the will stating that they don't believe you should inherit but as there's no will it will pass to your children. If he hadn't wanted you to have the money, surely he would have made a will when you sold the house and went your separate ways....if he didn't then they should keep their noses out. Likewise if you are down as his next of kin....you make the decisions regarding his health, again, he could have informed the GP surgery if he had chosen someone else as next of kin. I wouldn't worry too much at the moment, just let things go as they will and as Chris says....who gives a stuff if they are happy or not!!