Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Thanks Shona. It is so hard. The fact she is only 7 years old depresses me. She should have years left in her yet At what age did you lose your shep?
I was incredibly lucky, Logan was 14yrs old when I had him PTS, he could have gone on longer, but things like catching his toe in the little lip at the back door and him falling were horrid for him, he hated it, { he didnt seem to have the response in the rear end to feel it or correct it before he fell}
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 05:05 PM
You must be sad to lose the Flame you knew Kirsty but she is entering a new part of her life. I am sure she knows how much you care about her so don't feel guilty. I think dogs are very accepting of their limitations much more so than us.
Lots of hugs to both of you.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 05:20 PM
So sorry to read this Kirsty especially at 7. No advice or words of wisdom, just big hugs xx
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 06:46 PM
sorry to read this ,my lovely bessey was the same .its heartbreaking isnt it .
ruthshaw9
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-06-2009, 08:16 PM
My Belgian Shepherd started showing signs of arthritis in her hips at 7 years old. She slowly got worse over the next year. She had trouble getting up and was very stiff when she first got up. The vet started her on Metacam when she was 8 and advised a cod liver oil tablet and glucosamine and chondroitine daily. Within a week it was like I had a different dog. She went from not really wanting to go for a walk to going for two walks a day of an hour each. She's nearly 11 now and has 6 monthly checkups to make sure the Metacam still suits her. For us it really has been a miracle drug. It gave me my old girl back. She plays with my Dalmatian and still enjoys 2 hour long walks a day.
I would ask your vet if you could try Flame with it. It's worth a try.
daneman
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Hi we used to have an elderly dane with bone problems
the vet gave her rimadryl tablets for a while which helped
her and small walks in the end her legs went and her heart
was racing.
We could not lift her as she weighed 9 stone.
Have you tried green lipped mussel extract it may help.
mick.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Gosh you are so right, Denise. And have actually made me look at things a little differently - in that, I think what I really, really want is the impossible. I want my young, fit, active Flame back and am focusing on the fact that I now have a middle-aged, slower, arthritic Flame. No matter how much I want to change that fact, I can't.

From now on I am going to try really hard to focus on the positive things! Thank you!
Good!!! That's the way to go Kirsty. I remember going through the same thing with Cassie and because she had been my constant companion wherever I went (unlike all my others I have to say) I felt just as you did when she started getting stiff and could no longer manage to come out with me everytime I went, and you just can't seem to understand can you, but then Cassie was about 10 when she first started showing any signs of stiffness behind, so it must be even more difficult knowing that Flame is only 7. Another thing I never understood is the fact that Cassie had cancer at only 11 years old, when most of my others had lived to a ripe old age of 15 and 16, NONE of them suffered with their hips and none of them had cancer, they just got old gracefully, and couldn't manage our daily walks in the end, so I was not only heartbroken, but also in shock that I was going to lose her at such a young age (or what I thought was a young age for a gsd!). I suppose that's the part that's so difficult for you to handle, the fact that she's only 7, and suffering with this deteriorating condition. I just hope you can find something that will keep you focused on the positive like that fantastic lady has said, coz she sure has a knack of making us look at the bad from a very different aspect doesn't she! See what you vet thinks about Metacam, I can honestly say Kirsty, that Cassie changed from a stiff old lady into a year old pup almost instantly when I put her on it, with no ill effects either! I know all the herbal and homeopathic remedies are good, but I also think they can take a very long time in getting to the root of the problem and stabilising it, whereas with the Metacam you will see an instant result plus of course, she will have no pain whatsoever, and you've said yourself that you don't really think the drug she's on has made much difference so it's got to be worth a try hasn't it?

All the best with your dear Flame. She's not old in our book, but you ask any vet and they will always call a 7yr old an OLD dog, especially a large breed like a gsd, I couldn't believe it myself when I first heard it. Now go and focus on all that good stuff you've had and still got with your gorgeous girl.xxxxx
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2009, 01:24 PM
I think what I really, really want is the impossible. I want my young, fit, active Flame back and am focusing on the fact that I now have a middle-aged, slower, arthritic Flame. No matter how much I want to change that fact, I can't.
All of our pain comes from not getting what we "want". A fitter dog, a better house, more money, a different job, a longer life, a slimer figure, a better parter....

All of our happiness comes from what we can give
More love to someone or something, acceptance of how it is, gratitude for what we have, better service, more support, more unconditional love.

Too many people spend theuir lives trying to get things to be "just so" and building their happiness on that., They tell themselves that I can only be happy when.... my dog runs freely again, my dog is well again, my husband is better, my waist is slimeretc.... Then once they have it how they want, they spend the rest of their lives trying to KEEP it exactly as it is. Thats not living - thats called stagnation, death even. This is not how life is. Life changes all the time, it cycles through easy times and hard. "good" and "bad" . The trick is to enjoy as much of it as we can. To switch our focus continually, to see what good lies in each day, each event.

Happiness is a choice and once we realise that we can chosse to accept what ever NOW is and chose to be happy about it. Look for the positive - there is alwasy some.

Becasue of Flames situation, you are realising just how loving a person you are. You are learning about new canine medicines that might help your other dogs one day too. You are learning to adapot your routine to accomodate, Flames changes and in doing so you should realise just how loving an act that is. You are realising just how important she is. You are realising how flexible you can be. You are realising the fruitlessness of trying to hold on to that which is forever changing. ......Just how important it is to live each and every day as if it where your very last. For it might be.

When we shift our focus to what we DO have, everything seems to get better. and in that place, we can BE better people, which helps our friends, our families and our loved ones. It is your job, not to be strong for Flame, you are priviledged to bear this pain, but to ENJOY Flame.

I am sure that you will. Love and hugs to you all.

What a lovely, supportive thread - see what Flame has brought about!!!!! All this love and support and sharing of feelings. All Good. Thank you Flame
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by Lotsadogs View Post
All of our pain comes from not getting what we "want". A fitter dog, a better house, more money, a different job, a longer life, a slimer figure, a better parter....

All of our happiness comes from what we can give
More love to someone or something, acceptance of how it is, gratitude for what we have, better service, more support, more unconditional love.

Too many people spend theuir lives trying to get things to be "just so" and building their happiness on that., They tell themselves that I can only be happy when.... my dog runs freely again, my dog is well again, my husband is better, my waist is slimeretc.... Then once they have it how they want, they spend the rest of their lives trying to KEEP it exactly as it is. Thats not living - thats called stagnation, death even. This is not how life is. Life changes all the time, it cycles through easy times and hard. "good" and "bad" . The trick is to enjoy as much of it as we can. To switch our focus continually, to see what good lies in each day, each event.

Happiness is a choice and once we realise that we can chosse to accept what ever NOW is and chose to be happy about it. Look for the positive - there is alwasy some.

Becasue of Flames situation, you are realising just how loving a person you are. You are learning about new canine medicines that might help your other dogs one day too. You are learning to adapot your routine to accomodate, Flames changes and in doing so you should realise just how loving an act that is. You are realising just how important she is. You are realising how flexible you can be. You are realising the fruitlessness of trying to hold on to that which is forever changing. ......Just how important it is to live each and every day as if it where your very last. For it might be.

When we shift our focus to what we DO have, everything seems to get better. and in that place, we can BE better people, which helps our friends, our families and our loved ones. It is your job, not to be strong for Flame, you are priviledged to bear this pain, but to ENJOY Flame.

I am sure that you will. Love and hugs to you all.

What a lovely, supportive thread - see what Flame has brought about!!!!! All this love and support and sharing of feelings. All Good. Thank you Flame
What a fabulous post and so true too

Elaine xx
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
What a fabulous post and so true too

Elaine xx
Thank you, for those kind words. Im glad if they rung true for you and shifted your focus.

I dont know how to respond to these little thank you things I get on my user CP.... Is there a way... I feel rude for not thanking those that thanked me in this way...

But thank you to all who have thanked me. Glad to be of help Does make my heart sing
Page 6 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »