Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
children11
New Member!
Female 

21-01-2016, 01:27 AM

Dog food

We have a 6 month old puppy. We are feeding her Canidae Dog Food. Is this a good food? This is what the breeder was feeding her.

Thank You,

Bernice
Azz
Administrator
Male 

21-01-2016, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by children11 View Post
We have a 6 month old puppy. We are feeding her Canidae Dog Food. Is this a good food? This is what the breeder was feeding her.

Thank You,

Bernice
What are the ingredients Bernice?
children11
New Member!
Female 

21-01-2016, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
What are the ingredients Bernice?
The ingredients in Canidae dog food are:

Chicken meal, turkey meal, lamb meal, brown rice, white rice, rice bran, peas, potatoes, oatmeal, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), millet, tomato pomace, natural flavor, flaxseed meal, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, suncured alfalfa meal, inulin (from chicory root), lecithin

I heard this is a really good dog food. What do you think?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

21-01-2016, 11:17 PM
Personally I would not feed it as there are lots of grains in there.

Do you have any dog foods there that say they are 'grain free' or 'species appropriate' ? They might be worth a look
children11
New Member!
Female 

21-01-2016, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Personally I would not feed it as there are lots of grains in there.

Do you have any dog foods there that say they are 'grain free' or 'species appropriate' ? They might be worth a look
We do have grain free but not sure about species appropriate.

I used the give my 1st dog natural balance until she got old.

Here's the ingredients for natural balance:

Chicken, Brown Rice, Oats, Chicken Meal, Potatoes, Brewers Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Dried Carrots, Duck Meal, Salmon Meal, Pea Fiber, Oat Fiber, Natural Flavor, Tomato Pomace, Flaxseeds, Brewers Dried Yeast, Menhaden Oil, Salt, Potassium Chloride, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate, Minerals (Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Calcium Iodate), L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), L-Tryptophan, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid (preservatives), Taurine, Dried Cranberries, Dried Blueberries, Dried Spinach, L-Lysine, Dried Kelp, Dried Yucca Schidigera Extract, Rosemary Extract.

What do you think about this dog food? What do you feed your dog?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

21-01-2016, 11:49 PM
It also has grains in it.

Have a read of this article: http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=9616

And this thread: http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=137215

That should give you a good idea.

My preferred choice is a RAW diet, followed by a homemade 'species appropriate' cooked diet. So no rice, grains, potatoes, pulses, beans etc - mostly meat and some veg
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2016, 11:53 PM
Gluten free foods are better and, here in the UK at least, most manufacturers state gluten free on the bags.

Many dogs are gluten intolerant these days and just can't process it. Gluten free is the same as grain free.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

22-01-2016, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Gluten free foods are better and, here in the UK at least, most manufacturers state gluten free on the bags.

Many dogs are gluten intolerant these days and just can't process it. Gluten free is the same as grain free.
Just a note about your last sentence Chris, not all grains contain gluten so look for 'grain free' as well as gluten-free (though generally if something is grain free it will almost certainly be gluten free).

Or did you mean Grain free is the same as gluten free
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2016, 09:02 AM
Ah the midnight hour and fingers typing faster than brain. My apologies. Azz is quite right
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-01-2016, 09:30 AM
I feed raw but their diet is not grain free as they all make a beeline to clear up around the parrots cage. They also have the odd bit of leftover rice and gluten in pasta. They love bread too which is full of seeds so unless I let them eat a bit of everything as they have no intolerances. Their diet is like mine, basically healthy with a bit of what they fancy.