Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2011, 06:22 AM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Oh thank goodness..........that really really doesn't sound like cruciate injury to me, because she wouldn't be able to use the leg to lever herself up after lying on it.I wonder what on earth she did to her toe then? Whatever she did, I hope that by the morning she is less sore
Just what I thought Sally, I know the painkilling jab is good, but not that good surely! I know from my horses how serious these tendon injuries can be, and bearing in mind she is a shepherd I know how well they can disguise their pain, but not this one lol!

Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Crikey H I was wonderng earlier how your viewing had gone...what a nightmare for you, and poor Zena, I do hope she is going to be ok.

It sounds like the painkiller is doing the trick, and the extra care you've given her, I know the damage caused by the wood sounds painful but I'm hoping it is that rather than a cruciate problem.

Please give her and that darling boy Georgie a hug from Hen and me xxx
Oh so am I Sheree, or whatever it was that hurt her That's so spooky about those people though, 2nd attempt to view, and if something happens the 3rd time, then I'm not letting them come! xxxx

Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
Aww hugs to u both

Here's hoping its nothing serious,a cruciate injury is very common in a large dog like your girlie,she doesn't have to do anything silly' really for it to happen either,but also it doesn't have to be a full rupture,brusing and partial tears are also common,and for that its rest and nsaid's.'
Thanks Layla. I've now found that out via Google, and considering my other vet appeared whilst I was standing outside waiting for the jab, he looked at her too and said "oh dear, looks like cruciate". If you saw the way this manic dog does things it's a real wonder she hasn't already damaged all her ligaments, but she's obviously made of rubber!

Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Blimey, poor old Zena. There's always something, isn't there H! I hope it's minor and the painkiller is all that's needed.
Thanks Amanda, yes, we all have our cross to bear with our doglets don't we. I used a new muzzle, a soft basket type and she could bark through this which wasn't good! My theory being, if they were going to cart her off, I didn't want her to be in that soft wrap around one which she can't pant in (or bark in!), so if I go again today, she's getting the soft one, as it keeps her calm if she can't scare herself with all that barking at the nasty vet!

Originally Posted by madmare View Post
What is it with yours and my dogs. I often think they must be in telepathic competition with each other. Its just one damn drama after another. We should both have totally white hair and be a trembling mess by now.
I hope its not cruciate and she has just strained or twisted something and a couple of days of complete rest she will be as good as new. Lots of positive vibes coming her way and some hugs for you and lovely Georgie
But I AM Bev!!!! You know all about this don't you!! Not only the cruciate but the trauma they give US one after the other! I'd only just got over the thought of losing Georgie Sunday afternoon with his funny turn, and then this! Thanks Bev.xxx

Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
Oh dear~! I hope you are right and its not a cruciate. I had this happen a few months ago with Moxie and I just KNEW it was her cruciate but it turned out to be a broken toe! So hopefully since she is already using the leg, it is something less serious like a bruise or a strain. Hugs to you and the big goof!
Sorry you've been through similar with Moxie. Whatever it is with Zena, I knew it was an emergency vet trip as soon as I heard her scream and it's a wonder I didn't brake my own neck in my panic to get that door open with the rug stuck there, and when I saw her standing there holding her leg up I obviously thought the worst, I actually thought she had broken it if I'm honest Hope all is well with Moxie now, and thanks Muttz.xxx

Well, I dunno, surely this painkiller isn't that good, because Zena is totally normal (in body anyway!) this morning! Maybe my ice pack did the trick, along with the jab, and the overnight rest and time factor.

I'm dubious about walking her, but she is totally normal on that foot this morning, so I'm going to ring the vet and get her in just for them to take a look at the foot itself.

The strange thing is though, I was lying in bed last night thinking (as yer do), and I remember when I first got Zena, she had been on ab's for a swollen foot (THE same foot), then 18 months down the line, she's holding it up again and licking that very same spot on the top that I see is bald now inbetween the two toes, so instead of muscle injury, I whip her down to the vet again and tell them she must have a grass seed stuck in there, so in they go with the forceps, ab's and a few days later she's fine. Now is this just coincidence that whatever she did to herself yesterday, she did to the very same spot, or have we got an underlying problems there and something she did set it off again? Weird, but too much of a coincidence for me. It is NOT a grass seed though, the lawn was mown the day before, no seeds, and this was caused by her going overboard at that dog! (Reason being, he is the one who has launched an attack on her no less than 3 times up on the green - all of which he has so far survived, but now he has a death sentence on his head lol!).
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2011, 06:28 AM
Ahhhh pleased to see madam seems to be bck to herself this morning (Zena that is, not you ! )

Its worth getting checked out though. Let us know how she gets on

Bev xxx
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2011, 06:29 AM
Sorry to hear this H.
The trouble with Sheppies is that they can stub their toe and carry on like the sky had fallen in and yet ignore something serious.
I hope you get to the bottom of it.- if only for the sake of your ulcers.
X
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-07-2011, 06:35 AM
Glad to hear Zena is more or less back to normal this morning.

How are you though ?

I am really hoping now that it is some sort of sprain or like you say a broken toe maybe not that either are good but better than cruciate and the possible thought of operations.

More (((hugs))) for you all. X
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2011, 08:01 AM
Just popped in to check how things are.
I hope when you see the vet this morning it's good news. Certainly doesn't sound as serious as last night.
Thinking of you.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2011, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
Ahhhh pleased to see madam seems to be bck to herself this morning (Zena that is, not you ! )

Its worth getting checked out though. Let us know how she gets on

Bev xxx
Lol, you got it spot on there Bev, there's one one madam who's back to normal this morning xxx

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Sorry to hear this H.
The trouble with Sheppies is that they can stub their toe and carry on like the sky had fallen in and yet ignore something serious.
I hope you get to the bottom of it.- if only for the sake of your ulcers.
X
Yes, spot on there Claire! She's accepted she's having a quiet day today, gone back to bed bless her heart, she is so very accommodating this little one, unlike some of my others! Thanks Claire, I'm sure we'll get this sorted.xx

Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Glad to hear Zena is more or less back to normal this morning.

How are you though ?

I am really hoping now that it is some sort of sprain or like you say a broken toe maybe not that either are good but better than cruciate and the possible thought of operations.

More (((hugs))) for you all. X
Thanks Lynn, well I'm ok now that she greeted me as per usual this morning with my slipper! Just glad she's had a good stretch, both front legs and hind, so if it was a cruciate problem I doubt very much she'd want to do that would she!xxx

Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Just popped in to check how things are.
I hope when you see the vet this morning it's good news. Certainly doesn't sound as serious as last night.
Thinking of you.
Thanks Jen. These dogs will be the death of me, always a trauma, methinks it's time to calm this lunatic down a tad, but according to her breeder "I will never calm one of HER dogs down", well, we'll see, coz I can see we will be heading for the real thing (that cruciate injury) somewhere along the lines if I don't.

Just rung the vets, both surgeries are all filled for the whole day, and the vet I saw last night is off sick. So, tomorrow, I will change my appointment from the morning to the afternoon so that I can see the same lady, coz she was really good with Zena, not scared of her at all, so she managed to get her nice and calm (along with a little bit of help from me of course). She will be kept quiet (as possible) today, monitored, and maybe, just maybe, later on if it stops raining I will take her on a lead walk on some nice soft grass just to see if she really is back to normal (definitely NO ball throwing though! Honest!)
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Lol, you got it spot on there Bev, there's one one madam who's back to normal this morning xxx

Just rung the vets, both surgeries are all filled for the whole day, and the vet I saw last night is off sick. So, tomorrow, I will change my appointment from the morning to the afternoon so that I can see the same lady, coz she was really good with Zena, not scared of her at all, so she managed to get her nice and calm (along with a little bit of help from me of course). She will be kept quiet (as possible) today, monitored, and maybe, just maybe, later on if it stops raining I will take her on a lead walk on some nice soft grass just to see if she really is back to normal (definitely NO ball throwing though! Honest!)
Sounds good news Helena, but I think you are so right to go gently. The painkillers could be masking the underlying problem and more harm than good could be done by allowing her to dash about.

Poor Zena, she sounds such a love ... and it sounds like you have a good vet there too. Last time Ben went to the vet with his wet eczema we had to muzzle him and it took 2 vets and my OH to hold him down for the vet to shave and scrub him. Next time he has to go we are going to try him without the muzzle, unless the vet has to do anything within teeth range.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Could be something as simpls as a fractured toe Helena, really hope so, Inka fractured a toe when he was about 9 months old and nown again limps on that foot, I remember when he did it,he screamed like a pig and lay in the grass with the paw in the air, took us 30 mins to walk home a 5 min journey lol...

really hope it is something simple xx
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Glad to hear she is a little better H, god they do try us dont they.

Hopefully she is on the mend now..

You know what this is all about dont you..............she does not want to move
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Oh H, you can never say your life is boring can you? You have more drama at your house than Eastenders. Seriously though I do hope that it is nothing serious and Zena will soon be back to normal. Hugs for Georgie too.
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >