Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2005, 10:59 PM

recall

well, its official, indies recall sucks when she sees another dog. Although ive only had her off lead for a couple of weeks now.

Sometimes when i tell her leave, she will do just that and return when i ask her to, but more often than not will just ignore me and run towards the other dog.

Well, today it really did backfire because indie saw a goldie today who was onlead which became obvious that it was for a reason and she ran straight for them, at which point the dog was growling and going for her and pulled the man on the other end of the lead to the floor indie didnt get hurt but kept running round him trying to play, which made it hard to get her back.

Anyway, in light of this i have found one of katyb's old posts about max's recall and am going to try the 'drop' method shadowboxer explained. Its too dangerous for her not to have a good recall if anyone else has any other good ideas my ears are open. She is of course going back onto a long lead until she obeys commands effectively.

oh and indie aw a fox run across our path the other day and started chasing it! My heart went cold i tell ya! luckily she listened when we said leave
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2005, 11:06 PM
go for it jenny it really works max picked it up really quickly. he is not 100% if i see the dog before he does i can get him in a drop and he feels obliged to stay altho he knows it mean there is a dog about and he looks straight away but if i dont see the dog and he makes a move when i call drop then its really hard for him i would say 8 out of ten times he will respond but if he has started a run towards it sometimes he just cant resist and i have to get my stroppy voice out. but it was a major improvement on how he was before
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2005, 11:10 PM
well we saw alot of dogs today. If i see the dog first i can get indie back on lead, but if she does spot the dog b4 me, its rare that she will actually listen. We came across a rottie today who indie saw first, the woman had hold of him and i thought 'oh shit', luckily the woman said he was ok and i was like 'thank god' cos otherwise indie could have got injured not listening to me!

I have reintroduced a whistle to her recall, which helps when she starts disappearing, but isnt effective when another dog is in site!

So lots of training for indie tomorrow!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-02-2005, 11:23 PM
Katy, Max is doing very well indeed However, as he is associating the 'drop' with the presence of another dog it is important that you do a lot of 'blank' drops. That is, get him to drop at a distance when you know there are no other dogs around. When he drops walk up to him and reward him and then let him go off again or play a game with him. The drop must mean somnething pleasant to the dog more often than it means getting the lead put on and being restrained
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2005, 11:26 PM
i do sb and he looks at me with his 'oh for gods sake' eyes and looks for a dog lol
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-03-2005, 12:17 AM
Typically, with obedience type training, you go back to the point where your dog was consistent and start over again.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-03-2005, 01:34 AM
Jenny, sorry I had to dash off earlier. Good luck with the training and remember, this exercise takes a LOT of time and patience to get a reliable response from your dog. Max seemed to pick it up quite quickly but it can take months of work, so don't get disheartened if you feel you & Indie are not progressing fast enough

Katy - don't you just love it when they roll their eyes and you can just hear them thinking "Oh lord, the mad woman is off again, suppose I had better humour her".
afc101
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-03-2005, 01:24 PM
Jenny - do you have a link to the orignal post?

cheers
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2005, 01:40 PM
heres the original post:

http://dogweb.co.uk/talk/viewtopic.p...l&start=15