Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Ignore the troll guys.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Firstly I charge the same for both sexes and both leave here not to be bred from or exported and all new owners sign a contract to that effect.
I charge £800 for a puppy which seems to be the rate all the welshie breeders are charging.
I pay between £500-£600 stud fees regardless of wether I have 1 pup or 6 and it's very rare I make even a small profit but any i do make goes toward my show entry fees.
I never ever negotiate on price my feelings are if you can't afford or arent prepared to pay the price you really can't afford the upkeep of the pup.
Culling puppies is NEVER EVER acceptible. If for any reason I wasnt able to sell a puppy it would stay here for the rest of their lifes.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-11-2011, 12:39 PM
Culling
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 12:42 PM
I charge the same price for both bitches and dogs and all pups born here are endorsed progeny not eligable for registration and export pedigree.

Eveb the ones I keep.

The new puppy owners then gets in writing under what terms I will lift the endorsement.

Personally if you were to put all costs as you would in a business then the price for the pup would be very high.

Different breeds are often different prices depending on such thing as health tests needed and normal size of litter.

I do often give away pups to family and friends for free but if I was approached for a pup by a stranger then it is the selling price.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by bullylurchers View Post
[mod edit] Where did i say everyone?? I said if 'breeders' bred for themselves and friends only!!

Here's a scenario for you:-

Owner has a bitch whom they work or show successfully, they breed the bitch to get a pup for themselves, owner has friends in the working or show field who would also like a pup from this bitch, pups are chosen the rest culled.

Few years down the line one of these said pups turns out well in the field or ring, said owner breeds the dog, keeps a pup and said owner also has friends wanting a pup, keeps what's needed and culls the rest.

The same continues......

How is this in any way disgusting??
Well I have heard of this practise happening but not by anyone I know or would want to know.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-11-2011, 12:46 PM

Owner has a bitch whom they work or show successfully, they breed the bitch to get a pup for themselves, owner has friends in the working or show field who would also like a pup from this bitch, pups are chosen the rest culled.

Few years down the line one of these said pups turns out well in the field or ring, said owner breeds the dog, keeps a pup and said owner also has friends wanting a pup, keeps what's needed and culls the rest.

The same continues......

Bullylurchers , you are entitled to an opinion just like every other member here. That may be how you choose to do things , I think very few members would agree with your methods.

For anyone who doesn’t find the practice of culling `disgusting ’ I would question that they are dog lovers at all.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 01:12 PM
[mod edit] Where did i say everyone?? I said if 'breeders' bred for themselves and friends only!!

The same continues......

This probably still happens amoungst certain breeders who breed working"sporting" dogs(as opposed to working dogs in general), but not show people despite what that PDE program inferred happened. Culling is a terrible way of reducing numbers-better not to breed in the first place

A breeder should only breed to improve the breed,noy just for a puppy for themselves.

I have never(when I was breeding)charged more for one puppy than another-show or pet-they all cost the same to rear & look after
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 01:15 PM
If people bred for their own use and for close friends then puppies wouldn't need to be sold in the first place, money shouldn't change hands when dogs are involved, all expenses are what the breeder should pay anyway, selling pups to make that money back is rediculous, if you want to breed a litter you pay for it and what you get out of it is the pup/pups you keep for yourself. But this will never happen. A few moons ago my grand dad worked spaniels and he never ever payed for one nor did he ever sell one. He bred a litter to keep a pup/pups for himself and a couple of close friends, when the litter was born, said chosen few were picked and the rest of the litter culled, simple as that. If everyone adhered to this way of breeding then there would be no breeding dogs for money, very few ending up in rescue and probably alot few dogs about as for many there would be no point owning a dog as no money would be made!
ive seen and heard of this happening on farms, mainly baby bulls and goats - but never a dog im actually struggling to take this in
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3