Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bullylurchers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-11-2011, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
so you think its more acceptable for everyone to breed a litter when they want a pup, then cull the ones their friends dont want disgusting

[mod edit] Where did i say everyone?? I said if 'breeders' bred for themselves and friends only!!

Here's a scenario for you:-

Owner has a bitch whom they work or show successfully, they breed the bitch to get a pup for themselves, owner has friends in the working or show field who would also like a pup from this bitch, pups are chosen the rest culled.

Few years down the line one of these said pups turns out well in the field or ring, said owner breeds the dog, keeps a pup and said owner also has friends wanting a pup, keeps what's needed and culls the rest.

The same continues......

How is this in any way disgusting??
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Firstly I find you post extremely rude an offensive. There is no need I swear at me, and asking me if im blonde (and implying I am dumb) no I am not blinder or dumb, you are being dam right rude.

And as for culling puppies because you can flog them off to family members and friends yes I do find it disgusting. People like that are the breeders we do NOT need in this world.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2011, 10:54 PM
You are very rude and down right cruel if you really believe their is nothing wrong with your statement. I certainly hope you don't know anyone that practices that act.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Ignore the spelling mistakes on my phone and it changes the words because I type too quick and then not all the letters appear.
Peanuts
New Member!
Male 

08-11-2011, 06:08 AM
Are you for real?

How could you possibly think that culling is an answer to pups you don't need?

I sincerely hope you never breed a litter!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by bullylurchers View Post
If people bred for their own use and for close friends then puppies wouldn't need to be sold in the first place, money shouldn't change hands when dogs are involved, all expenses are what the breeder should pay anyway, selling pups to make that money back is rediculous, if you want to breed a litter you pay for it and what you get out of it is the pup/pups you keep for yourself. But this will never happen. A few moons ago my grand dad worked spaniels and he never ever payed for one nor did he ever sell one. He bred a litter to keep a pup/pups for himself and a couple of close friends, when the litter was born, said chosen few were picked and the rest of the litter culled, simple as that. If everyone adhered to this way of breeding then there would be no breeding dogs for money, very few ending up in rescue and probably alot few dogs about as for many there would be no point owning a dog as no money would be made!
Are you serious? That's an archaic, outdated, horrendous way to think of breeding. If you are going to breed dogs and produce living, breathing animals they have as much right to live a full, active life as you or I.

I agree that the rescue problem in the UK is terrible. But just because people such as yourself or your family are prepared to kill of puppies they can't be bothered with won't solve the problem.

maybe you don't see the point in having dogs. But I do. I have dogs because I enjoy having them in my life. They make me happy and I'd like to think that they are happy living with me too.

I am assuming you don't breed? Of course if you did, you'd be sure to give away all the pups and swallow the costs/expenses involved? Or would you not bother to give extra feed to a pregnant bitch, not bother to health test, not bother with providing a quiet place for a decent whelping box etc?

I sincerely hope you are only stating what was done many years ago. If this is how you deal with dogs nowadays then you're on the wrong forum. We love dogs here, care for dogs, are concerned about dogs and want to help dogs. Anyone who agrees with murdering pups because they can't be bothered to find them decent homes shouldn't be on a dog lovers forum.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 09:55 AM
[mod edit] Where did i say everyone?? I said if 'breeders' bred for themselves and friends only!!

Owner has a bitch whom they work or show successfully, they breed the bitch to get a pup for themselves, owner has friends in the working or show field who would also like a pup from this bitch, pups are chosen the rest culled.

Few years down the line one of these said pups turns out well in the field or ring, said owner breeds the dog, keeps a pup and said owner also has friends wanting a pup, keeps what's needed and culls the rest.

The same continues......

I have reported this post as unacceptable.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 10:09 AM
There's a Us breeder who shares that view, think you'd be better off on her forum.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 11:54 AM
my dad does the "this it what it owes me thing" he works out how much producing a litter has cost him and that is divided up between how many pups were born. He does add a small amount on top after that to cover MY time as you can bet he didnt do a thing. hes never made a penny on a litter.

I did spay his dogs behind his back when he was on holiday though as his new wife was all "wow lets breed all 3 girls - what an easy way to make money" so i snuck them off to be spayed before they turned in to cash cows. I also didnt want the work of 6 litters a year to be dealing with. My dad was not impressed when i told him - but soon came round to my thinking when i explained why i had done it
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-11-2011, 12:15 PM
If people bred for their own use and for close friends then puppies wouldn't need to be sold in the first place, money shouldn't change hands when dogs are involved, all expenses are what the breeder should pay anyway, selling pups to make that money back is rediculous, if you want to breed a litter you pay for it and what you get out of it is the pup/pups you keep for yourself. But this will never happen. A few moons ago my grand dad worked spaniels and he never ever payed for one nor did he ever sell one. He bred a litter to keep a pup/pups for himself and a couple of close friends, when the litter was born, said chosen few were picked and the rest of the litter culled, simple as that. If everyone adhered to this way of breeding then there would be no breeding dogs for money, very few ending up in rescue and probably alot few dogs about as for many there would be no point owning a dog as no money would be made!

There is a school of thought that giving away anything does not always ensure a good home, because for many the "free" item is neither thought over or appreciated.

And that goes for a free flyer to a live animal, paying out your hard earned money for something might make you think twice if the item is really wanted.

The same continues......

If you dont know, then there is no hope for you
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >