Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2010, 07:29 PM
So sorry to hear your news.

We must be lucky here as we meet many many GSD'd and luckily never had an issue.

All our love to Mia xxxxxxxxxxxx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2010, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Sorry Adam, but sometimes this sort of thing does absolutely no good at all and just makes things even easier for the incoming aggressive dog.

It is not the non-aggressive dogs and their careful owners who need to alter their ways here, but the thoughtless or ignorant people who refuse to keep their dogs under control in public places.

Today we were on our usual walk down by the river, when a very large chocolate lab came boiling out of nowhere, with hackles raised. He did not attack, but our little dog who was on his long lead was clearly getting ready to defend. The couple who owned this lab sauntered round the corner, and on seeing the situation called out "it's okay, he's a real softie" I immediately retorted with words that made it plain that our dog was not to be entirely trusted and please could they call their lab. They just laughed, saying that they loved Jack Russells. I pleaded with them, whilst trying to keep the two dogs apart but they just wouldn't listen. In the end, I picked our dog up as they were both at this stage growling and things were escalating. I was sooooooo mad, as we have spent considerable time trying to make our dog safe when meeting others and we just don't need this sort of thing.

I do hope that Mia can forget about today.
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I don't think I'd actually want to put my dog in a "down" quite honestly This is a dog's most vulnerable place, and although a lot of dogs WE meet have gone into the down, even rolled over sometimes, that is their own choice, but I could never put my own dog into such a defenceless position, I would much rather she greet a dog standing up and if it goes for her, then at least she can defend herself, coz the other dog could have her pinned there in seconds and it would all be my fault.

Sorry to hear about the trauma for you this morning Sally There was a time when I could almost guarantee that every lab we met would be fine, but not anymore, we had 3 of them attacking my dog the other morning, and they had actually come BACK to us and left their owner to do it!!!!

Ben Mc, I think you've got yourself a fantastic offer there from Lisa, and strongly advise you to take it up if you can, it might cure Mia forever from being so frightened of them if she meets up with some nice ones?!
Please don;t shoot me But can I say ''down'' actually works.
We've been in simular positions.....one with a male adult Rotti and a few with Terriers....I do always shout ''Down' to mine, it tends to takes away the confrontation with the other dog, and they walk round and usually away enough for the owner to get them Its actually a useful tool
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

07-09-2010, 08:52 PM
You don't have to shoo the other dog away, Just use the spray if you carry it. Most dogs get the message pretty instantly. Its also good for your dog as enforces you position of top dog/pack protector.

Adam
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Ok, I'll give it a go, I do have some sprays, but not of the citronella kind, more of the attack (legal!) sprays, so at least that way, all the aggressors will be walking round with red or blue faces for quite a while!!!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3