Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2007, 02:13 PM

How to decide....

I really want a puppy...

Max's breeder has said that I can have one from her litter (nearly 1 week old) and I have my eye on a lovely brindle boy.

My OH has said no, but since seeing the puppies has also gone all mushy over them

Basically I can ask and ask and ask, and he might give in

BUT....

If we get a puppy (in the middle of August) we won't be able to go on holiday this year (due to timings), we won't be going camping (puppy can't walk that far) and the money we've got for doing the rest of the house up (sorely needed new carpets and light fittings) will all go on puppy and accessories.

What do I do??

I really want to get the house sorted, as we've now got the money to do it (due to an unexpected windfall) and we're not likely to have that kind of money for at least another few years. We also want to go on holiday, as OH has been very stressed at work (and we haven't been away in over a year).

But, I also want another dog. I would love another Boxer around, and Max can play with him and not be an "only-dog". I think the broody feelings wouldn't have been so bad if Lottie hadn't had another litter. Added to the fact that this is Lottie's last litter, and I love the dogs her and Max's dad (Lewis) produce.

Argh!!!!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Having not had the pull of puppies, I can be strong and say IMO I would leave it for the moment. My personal thoughts is to sort out your house, and get yourselves that holiday. Stress relief is needed before getting said puppy, and if you don't do up your house, what's the poor wee thing going to chew anyway?

Hope this helps.....

elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Get the puppy before the barbecue and then your pal will not come for sure!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2007, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by elmac13 View Post
Get the puppy before the barbecue and then your pal will not come for sure!
Tut Tut Tut

I would go for the puppy for sure. The holiday & DIY can wait!

As this is their last litter then this is your last chance to have one of their pups and you are obviously very keen to have one.

We haven't had a holiday since we took on Max nearly 3 years ago, sometimes I think it would be nice but I'd rather have him.

We moved into our house nearly 2 years ago. The kitchen needs finishing, the bathroom needs redoing, the list is endless, the thing you can guarantee about DIY is that it is always there for you to do!

If OH is stressed at the moment - what could be better for him than having a crazy puppy running around being adorable (and peeing everywhere). Anyway why do up your home this summer and get a puppy next year for it to chew your new furniture, pee on your new carpets or what ever it is you are doing to your house. Makes sense to get the puppy, get it housetrained and then do up your home.

I just want to see pictures of the gorgeous Max and the gorgeous new puppy playing together, please!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2007, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
Anyway why do up your home this summer and get a puppy next year for it to chew your new furniture, pee on your new carpets or what ever it is you are doing to your house. Makes sense to get the puppy, get it housetrained and then do up your home.
That sounds sensible to me, if you are going to get another pup at some stage, it would seem to make sense before you do the house up...hopefully the pup won't take up all your cash and you'll be able to do the house later.

Surely if you got the pup you could still have some kind of camping holiday once the pup was jabbed - just maybe a slightly different one than you would have had without the pup (e.g. less walking, more lazying around?)

If it wasn't for knowing that you particularly want a pup from the same parents, I may have said wait, but if this is definitely her last litter, I would say go for it now.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-06-2007, 03:42 PM
I would get the puppy then once he is housetrained start working on the house

Max will love having another boxer around full time
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Ahhh but you've seen puppies, that is fatal!

But actually I agree with everyone else about why do up the house and then get the pup?

When we got Inca my OH spent our holiday money on her.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2007, 03:59 PM
Owning three boxers isochick im not very good at saying no , so my reply is get max a buddy hahahaha
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by beckyc View Post
Ahhh but you've seen puppies, that is fatal!

But actually I agree with everyone else about why do up the house and then get the pup?

When we got Inca my OH spent our holiday money on her.
heh, heh, thats whats called "getting your priorities right"
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2007, 04:05 PM
Id get the puppy as well. better for stress relieving than packing and unpacking
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >