Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
My two won't let anyone within about 10ft of me, end of story. If there were raised voices etc, I suspect that would change.

That's a noble thing to say though, that you'd take a beating regardless of circumstances (practically).

After having my arm fractured in 2 places by being hit with a stick (whilst I was trying to defend myself) I'm probably too big a coward now to offer myself up.
My guys, think that any new person they come across, is a new friend. Wouldn't change them for the world, but sometimes I do wonder if it wouldn't be easier, if they wern't quite so happy happy, joy joy, all of the time.

And thanks, most would just say I'm nuts, which is prob true, but oh well.

Ref fractures, bet that was painful, I managed to break my wrist, twice, in the same place, along with toes, fingers, nose, which I infact did myself, really don't ask how I managed that one, sprained/dislocated elbo, and more cracked teeth, black eyes and bruses then I can count. There's prob old injuries I've not even found yet.
Wearywolf
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-04-2010, 04:21 PM
We all know that abuse of dogs is not right in any shape or form, and in an ideal world it would be reported and sorted out the correct way. However this can sometimes make the situation worse. I think each case needs to be taken on its merit. Dog wardens now have more powers than they have had, the local dog wardens near me are very supportive and do an excellent job.

Its not just up to the rspca, the rspca are about prevention of cruelty. However not dissing the RSPCA. Laws have a large hinderence on how the rspca and dog wardens go about their jobs.

If you are worried about any cruelty report it asap, to anyone that may be able to help and follow them up.

The local dog warden gave a talk not long ago and mentioned the following pointers which are important and we can all learn from them:

1) A woman walked past a shed type building on her walk with her dog and could hear a distressed dog screaming, she heard it numerous times and did nothing about it, she continued her walks across this field and noticed the dog was no longer making the noise (bear in mind she could not see this dog). Eventually she picked up the phone to the dog warden. They checked it out and found a collie that was teathered inside the shed and had died from being starved to death! They couldnt trace the owner or person who did this. If this woman had done something earlier, it might just be alive and in proper hands. The fact that the dog was in a shed in the middle of nowhere over fields might just give away that its not being looked after. But sometimes as people we dont want to cause a fuss. Im sure my dog warden would have rather found a dog that was skinny and alive rather than a decomposing dog that was killed in a disgusting way. (This dog may have even been a stolen dog)!

2) Another thing the dog warden mentioned was the abondonment law. If a dog has been left on its own (i.e. left house for holiday, or left the house completely - and this does happen! you would be surprised!) If you notice that the dog has been unattended too for 3 days and then decide to let the relevant people know i.e. dog warden, they have to by law, wait 72 hours and observe no one going in before they can access the property to get that dog out! that coudl be over 6 days with no food or water!

If you are in any doubt report it! I know some of my customers have told me they would rather someone knock on their door i.e. dog warden and ask them if everything was ok, as they are not ashamed of letting them in to see their pets or observing them, as they have nothing to hide.

Dont be embarrassed its better that you have saved a dog from cruelty or even death than let it go on and do nothing about it!
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Way to keep the fire burning Azz.
Don't see what the problem is. We're not talking about the op of another thread or their actions anymore, we're talking about our own behaviour, and doing it nicely I might add.

Nobodies forcing you to look at this thread, or respond to it, if you don't want to.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by Wearywolf View Post
We all know that abuse of dogs is not right in any shape or form, and in an ideal world it would be reported and sorted out the correct way. However this can sometimes make the situation worse. I think each case needs to be taken on its merit. Dog wardens now have more powers than they have had, the local dog wardens near me are very supportive and do an excellent job.

Its not just up to the rspca, the rspca are about prevention of cruelty. However not dissing the RSPCA. Laws have a large hinderence on how the rspca and dog wardens go about their jobs.

If you are worried about any cruelty report it asap, to anyone that may be able to help and follow them up.

The local dog warden gave a talk not long ago and mentioned the following pointers which are important and we can all learn from them:

1) A woman walked past a shed type building on her walk with her dog and could hear a distressed dog screaming, she heard it numerous times and did nothing about it, she continued her walks across this field and noticed the dog was no longer making the noise (bear in mind she could not see this dog). Eventually she picked up the phone to the dog warden. They checked it out and found a collie that was teathered inside the shed and had died from being starved to death! They couldnt trace the owner or person who did this. If this woman had done something earlier, it might just be alive and in proper hands. The fact that the dog was in a shed in the middle of nowhere over fields might just give away that its not being looked after. But sometimes as people we dont want to cause a fuss. Im sure my dog warden would have rather found a dog that was skinny and alive rather than a decomposing dog that was killed in a disgusting way. (This dog may have even been a stolen dog)!

2) Another thing the dog warden mentioned was the abondonment law. If a dog has been left on its own (i.e. left house for holiday, or left the house completely - and this does happen! you would be surprised!) If you notice that the dog has been unattended too for 3 days and then decide to let the relevant people know i.e. dog warden, they have to by law, wait 72 hours and observe no one going in before they can access the property to get that dog out! that coudl be over 6 days with no food or water!

If you are in any doubt report it! I know some of my customers have told me they would rather someone knock on their door i.e. dog warden and ask them if everything was ok, as they are not ashamed of letting them in to see their pets or observing them, as they have nothing to hide.

Dont be embarrassed its better that you have saved a dog from cruelty or even death than let it go on and do nothing about it!
Good informative post imo.

The punishment needs to be tougher for those convicted of cruelty as well. The slap on the wrist that most seem to be given, is hardly an effective deterrent, jmo.

But of corse, that would only work, if the things you listed above, are done as well. I mean, someone reporting it, the relevan authorities acting on it, and then the justice system, handing out the sentence.
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i would say yes, however i have found that the RSPCA doesnt really seem to do a fat lot.

i reported a man who i knew, that kept his collie tied on a chain in the garden and used to beat it regularly with a stick, or whatever he could get hold of really. the dog was dirty and matted and was clearly in need of a hug

the RSPCA went, and didnt do a thing! they said because the dog had a bowl of food and water next to the kennel (it was permenantly chained to) there was nothing they could do because the animal it had food and water.
Had an almost identical experience with the response of RSPCA very much the same to a neighbours dog that we reported in a very similar situation a few years ago ....

Think it would depend on the circumstances as to which way I would I approach the situation first but I couldn't do nothing ....
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 05:17 PM
If someone was prone to beating their dog, I very much doubt if they'd gamely listen to reason from somebody like me, and I believe would be hostile towards me. So yes, I would report them.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 05:40 PM
I would without a doubt report them.....And I also wouldn't be able to stand by and watch, I'd have to say something........
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Without hesitation.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Without hesitation. In Cambodia i had to listen to the screams of pet dogs being beaten by their owners every day. There was no-one to report to there, we are lucky even given the limitations of the RSPCA.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 06:29 PM
Yes without a shadow of a doubt I would...everytime!
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »