Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2009, 02:24 PM

Hows Your TV Reception?

Especially all who have undergone Digital Switchover. My reception this afternoon is c**p.
Because of the wind and rain it is breaking up and hissing and spitting all the time.
This is happening on Sky and digital freeveiw.
Better picture for all, huh Never had these probs before.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Your Sky viewing should be the same as it's always been though Jen surely? Have to admit, that usually means big squares freezing up all over the screen or losing the signal in heavy rain, it's always done that for us too. We had our aerials all ripped out 3 years ago when we had the loft extension done and all the drop downs with the satellite dish moved up to the chimney, so nothing's changed here. Did you have to have different aerials installed then for the change over? Why can't you just use the sky dish then if you've got Sky, do away with the tv remote except for switching on and off and stick with the Sky remote all the time?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2009, 03:08 PM
The TV reception here is also cr*p most of the time & after the update I lost most of the digital channels, so I treated myself to one of these & I now have brilliant reception & more channels than ever !
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Your Sky viewing should be the same as it's always been though Jen surely? Have to admit, that usually means big squares freezing up all over the screen or losing the signal in heavy rain, it's always done that for us too. We had our aerials all ripped out 3 years ago when we had the loft extension done and all the drop downs with the satellite dish moved up to the chimney, so nothing's changed here. Did you have to have different aerials installed then for the change over? Why can't you just use the sky dish then if you've got Sky, do away with the tv remote except for switching on and off and stick with the Sky remote all the time?
Yes sorry H, you are right and Sky was always c*** in bad weather but digital was supposed to end all this. We were told it would boost the signal x10.
My point really is that we have no choice but to go Digital and yet the reception is worse than any we have ever had.

Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
The TV reception here is also cr*p most of the time & after the update I lost most of the digital channels, so I treated myself to one of these & I now have brilliant reception & more channels than ever !
We used to have one of these in our last house.
We shouldn't really need one now, for the above reason and because we are on top of a hill with no obstructions to our signal. I certainly don't need anymore channels than the digi box gives us.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2009, 04:30 PM
We've always had bad reception here - in fact we couldn't get any normal tv when it was an analogue signal and had to get sky if we wanted to watch tv. But yes, we always loose signal when its raining heavily...I guess we're just used to it now.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2009, 04:49 PM
If I were you Jen, I'd get your satellite (Sky) checked out for it's setting, i.e. that it hasn't moved with all that wind, if it's a tad out, it'll affect your reception, or maybe a bit of water has got into the lnb (that happened with mum's in Spain), because as Dave has just said, Sky is Sky, nothing has affected their satellite signals, so I'm guessing it's just coincidence that there could be a problem with yours and it's moved or something. The new digital bit is only for aerials and as you know,Sky doesn't have an aerial. Good luck, coz I know mum had terrible problems in Spain, particularly at night, she could only get half her channels, coz the signals got too weak, don't ask me why, Dave could never understand that either, but half of Mallorca is almost blacked out in the evening from Sky satellite! Strange isn't it!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
that usually means big squares freezing up all over the screen or losing the signal in heavy rain, it's always done that for us too.
And it always will H - Without going into all the techie stuff it basically comes down to the signal strength arriving at your aerial.

In the old days of analogue your TV picture degraded gradually as the signal got worse, we are all familiar with 'snow' scene but at least you could get some picture and with a bit of persevereance you could watch a prog.

With digital the set itself decides what signal level it needs to present a good picture, if the level drops below that (As it may in heavy rain or snow, real snow that is ) then it just swiches itself off and you end up with those useless squares everywhere.

Nobody ever mentions the disadvantages of digital TV do they
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2009, 06:55 PM
[QUOTE=Losos;1827910]And it always will H - Without going into all the techie stuff it basically comes down to the signal strength arriving at your aerial.

In the old days of analogue your TV picture degraded gradually as the signal got worse, we are all familiar with 'snow' scene but at least you could get some picture and with a bit of persevereance you could watch a prog.

With digital the set itself decides what signal level it needs to present a good picture, if the level drops below that (As it may in heavy rain or snow, real snow that is ) then it just swiches itself off and you end up with those useless squares everywhere.

Nobody ever mentions the disadvantages of digital TV do they[/QUOTE]
No they don't Harvey we are lead to believe all will be hunkidori this is what makes me so cross.
All that has been checked Helena to no avail.
It's stopped raining now so tellie is watchable again
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Well glad you're ok now Jen, it's arrived here now, it's hissing down, so we're gonna lose Strictly in a mo!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
No they don't Harvey we are lead to believe all will be hunkidori this is what makes me so cross.
I haven't been reading up too much on the switchover but I seem to recall that after the analogue transmitters are switched off they have to remove the kit and install new digital transmitters, while this is going on you may be dependant on a transmitter which is further away and you'll never get a good signal level until the new kit is installed at your local transmitter station.

If you knew where it was you could drive by and tell the technicians to get a move on but if they work for the same firms that I've had dealings with in a past life (And they probably do) then I doubt it would do much good