Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2009, 01:41 PM

Oh dear....computers dying!

Yesterday it would not start up....when I finally managed to get it going it upgraded (which told me it would solve the issues...it was lying!)

Last night and today it seems to be dis-allowing me acsess one program by one! Each time I try to open something it tells me the program is not working and has to shut down!
(Computer is a 18month old refurb)

SO
- Option 1......Pay to have it fixed....
- Option 2.....http://www.staples.co.uk/technology/...7-home-premium

Or option 3.....http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/stor...ory_oid=-35430

Or if anyone else has any others...?
Please
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2009, 02:02 PM
I quite like the acer one, but I know nothing about pc's with some luck someone with some good savy may come along and help, or offer another option thats less expensive,

have you tried, re loading your software?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2009, 02:09 PM
I have removed as much as I can (and dare)...but have no idea where my recovery disk is! I have put everything important onto the external HD so there is nothing that matters if it dies.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm crap at PC stuff and just yell for someone to fix it for me - sorry hon, no help at all x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Hi Hannah PCs are a mystery to me however if I do have a problem I Google the PC message which has apperared on the screen /the problem and there is always some info somewhere ....
Harleygjc
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-11-2009, 01:53 PM
where did you get the system from? if it's only 18mths old you maybe able to take it back and get some help! another daft question is have you just tried a virus scan when you can get it running? it could be it's a nasty virus and maybe you can save the system.

The currys system doesn't look bad, if your not using it for gaming and just for everyday bogstandard usage then it's worht going for but, currys/comet/dixons DON'T supply a copy of windows with their pc's as doesn't tesco or morrissons if you want a copy of windows with the system and not a repair/recovery disc then goto a small independant shop, they will custom build a system to whatever you want/require! sometimes your better off with a place like that as if you get probs you can take it back to em! (as I've done a few times!) btw you do get any error message at start up?
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

18-11-2009, 09:03 AM
I may have mentioned it in passing but you can install a brand new system on your PC for £0. Have a look at my web pages in the Rich IT section. If you need help & haven't got anyone like friends or relatives who are technical enough, try these guys. It's coming up to Christmas & we're only just coming out of a recession so can you really afford to splash out on new hardware when there's nothing wrong with what you've got?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Gave in....have new PC....

I could not reboot the system, It would not allow me to run Virus checkers......

Thanks for the help
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

18-11-2009, 03:26 PM
An ideal opportunity to get the old one set up as a secondary system then. For use when, not if the new Windows one you just got croaks.
buzzie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I have removed as much as I can (and dare)...but have no idea where my recovery disk is! I have put everything important onto the external HD so there is nothing that matters if it dies.
Good move, could you have a virus?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >