Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2009, 10:29 PM

Wireless Question....

Finally after months we have managed to move Broadband suppliers and we are now, wireless, yippeeeee xxxx

Ok I will sound in the dark ages, (new to all this), we all have to learn at some point xxxx :

Just wondered, if I take my laptop somewhere that has wireless internet, how do I connect? Does the laptop just pick it up? I have heard of people's laptops working on the broadband of others? Or do I have to put in passwords etc?

Thanks
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
Finally after months we have managed to move Broadband suppliers and we are now, wireless, yippeeeee xxxx

Ok I will sound in the dark ages, (new to all this), we all have to learn at some point xxxx :

Just wondered, if I take my laptop somewhere that has wireless internet, how do I connect? Does the laptop just pick it up? I have heard of people's laptops working on the broadband of others? Or do I have to put in passwords etc?

Thanks
You computer should pick up your wireless network automatically. You don't have to 'connect' like you do with dial up.

You can connect to other peoples networks but only if they are unsecured (not recommended, obviously!) or they give you the password key to access their network.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2009, 07:48 AM
Some places do have free wi-fi that you can just connect to without a password. Usually places like service stations, some hotels, pubs, train stations etc.

I've got a iPhone and that can connect to wi-fi and i've been amazed at some of the places I can get free wi-fi.
carleyaves
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-09-2009, 09:43 AM
if you go to a free wireless hotspot it should connect. otherwise click on your broadband icon on your toolbar (mine is a globe infront of pc) and it will tell you if and what internet connections are available and if they are secure or not. hope this helps
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

29-09-2009, 01:00 PM
OK, as one or two posts hinted at wireless network security I thought I'd chip in with a suggestion or two.

From Werewolf's first post, I guess you've got a nice new wireless router from your new ISP. Find out how to change the admin password on it right now! A lot of them have passwords of admin or password. How easy would that be to hack?

Secondly, make sure you're using WPA encryption and not WEP. If you have to use WEP for some reason, it's better than nothing but not by much. I guess if someone wanted to scrounge off your signal, they'd go for an unencrypted network before a WEP one...

To answer the question about how to connect to other networks, there should be a wireless network 'icon' in the system tray (Or equivalent) when you're logged in to your lappy. Right clicking on that should show you some options including connect to another network.

Here's a link to some tips for wireless security. Some of them are a bit OTT... Pick and choose as you see fit. This is all assuming you want to secure you're network. Some people are quite happy leaving theirs open. Even so, change the router's admin password!!!!!11111