View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Whats healthier, fresh or frozen veg
fresh 27 87.10%
frozen 4 12.90%
no idea 0 0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 10:49 AM
Fresh, Tastes better!
OzBoz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-03-2005, 10:52 AM
I'm all for fresh veg, it certainly tastes better.

Most of the veg bought these days is sprayed with pesticides/fungicides etc, but as long as they are washed properly none of that will carry through to the end product - I work in the agricultural chemical trade, all the nasties are completely water soluble and are sprayed at such low levels (or are at the trial farms where they're all tested...) that a good wash at home gets rid of them all.

Organic veg is all very well, but what happens if the organic field is next to a non-organic farm who sprays chemicals and the wind takes them over? As far as I know the 'organic' products are not randomly tested for chemical presence. I can't help but feel that a lot of it is hype and an excuse to charge more money - after all, the pesticides etc are extremely expensive for the farmer to buy, so if they're not using them, why is the product so much more costly??
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-03-2005, 11:01 AM
Well as you ask Jenny ideally vegetables should be eaten as soon after picking as possible because they start to deteriorate in flavour and vitamin content from the moment they are picked . I appreciate the supermarkets need to cater for large numbers of people so selling fresh veg that are really fresh is not easy. If the vegetables in the supermarket have been picked and on the road for days you are as Julie says better eating frozen ones which are at least frozen straight after picking so still have some vitamin content . I refuse to buy the veg that are flown halfway around the world like spring onions and beans from Egypt or Kenya. I find the best solution is to buy when possible from greengrocers who source stock locally, buy what is in season and failing that organic frozen from the supermarket .
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 11:22 AM
won't vote because there are too many variables.

However - best veg is that grown, in season, by myself on my allotment!
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-03-2005, 11:55 AM
Fresh and raw or steamed.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 11:59 AM
but surely frozen veg was sprayed aswell? before they freeze it? well anyway fresh tastes better and def steamed
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

31-03-2005, 12:06 PM
fresh organic tastes much better - I'm embarrased to admit though that I don't know when the seasons are for most vegetables - so I don't know if I am buying them in season ops:
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

31-03-2005, 12:07 PM
that was an embarrased smiley but it has changed to a surprised one - don't know what happened
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 01:39 PM
We buy fresh, which does taste lovely!
But occasionally, if there is just me, I do buy those steam fresh ones - that you put in a microwave, in the bag.
They are convenient when there is one of you, and they do taste good!
rocky
Dogsey Senior
Male 

31-03-2005, 04:24 PM
Fresh but im partial to frozen peas.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >