Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
arwrestling
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-02-2008, 08:36 PM

Questions about Cystotomy recovery...

Hi, this is my first post here, just so you all know...

Well my dog, Stanley, just got a Cystotomy to remove bladder stones last Thursday. This is the second time we discovered stones in him, but the first time he was operated to remove. Stan is a Chihuahua, 3 years old (just turned 3 in December) and is a healthy ahnd ahppy puppy, aside from having those stones.

Now, I was just wondering what we can do to ease the recovery or something... He does not seem well at all, and I'm just wondering if it's normal...

Now, he has not eaten since Wednesday night, as he was submitted to a fasting befor ethe operation. He was back home on Friday afternoon, as the vet wanted to keep him for observations. Since being home he has not eaten and will not drink of his own will, we use a seringe to feed him water, as fluids are important for any kind of patien... (My mom is a nurse and so she knew that was something he needed).

Energy level, as you can guess, is virtually non-existant and he is extremely weak. He cannot jump or even run, though this could be attributed to the pain from the operation, I'm sure.

He is still peeing blood, which the doctor said is more than probable, however he is strainig to urinate and does not pee more than he did when the stones were in there, which again could be attributed to pain, but he just dribbles a drop or so.

His wound is healing well, it is a little red but the swelling went down. He seems more perky but will still not eat. Plus his breathing his abnormal, at times, as is his heartbeat.

The doctor did not prescribe any analgestics, and only gave us antibiotics that he takes daily, but he won't crunch them, so we have to crush it and mix it in water and insert with a seringe.

Also, he is vomiting once or twice a day, but has not eaten, and is also Pooping, but again has not eaten. His vomit, and this was also when he had the stones, I noticed one time, it is a bright yellow color, the same color as urine.

There is one other thing, when he went in for the Cystotomy, he was also neutered, since we felt we should not subject him to another surgery, and since he was already under, the vet thought it would be a good idea to do it at once rather than put him under again, later on (we had spoken to him about this before), especially because of his size (he weighs about 3-4 lbs, full grown).

Are these all normal symptoms and what can we do in the mean time? Normally how long does it take to heal? I'm asking because I've been reading up and some places said the dog was able to pee and run a mere day after the surgery...

Please help, it has been 3 days already and he does not seem to be recovering well... Thank you.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-02-2008, 08:45 PM
I would ask the vet, if you think he isn't recovering in a reasonable length of time.
I guess each one is different, but worth getting a check up, unless it could be an infection which is hindering his recovery.
arwrestling
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Well, the thing is that it's not that I think he isn't recoveirng well or on time or fast enough, it's just I'm not sure what to think. Out vet told us to make sure he is quiet for the next few weeks and that he doesn't lick the stitches, but other than that we were told he would urinate blood and to give him his antibiotics but nothing else, so I'm not sure if what is happening is normal, or if he is very sick now, or worse... You know?
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Don't let him lick or nibble his stitches, it could become infected.
Usually they are kept in for 10 days or so depending on how well the wound has healed and closed together.
If he is capable of moving around, i would let him, just no long walks or running, let him govern himself, some times it helps to feel a small amount of pain, to remind them they aren't capable.
Just do light lead walks untill he has been given the all clear from the vets.
If a dog is passing blood, then i would get a vet to check him over, even if a certain amount is normal after the surgery, it is hard to say what quantity is a normal amount.
How much do you think he is passing, and how often? Every time he goes or just a few in a 24 hr period.
I would make sure he has all the antibotics, to help prevent any infections.
If hes not eating or drinking of his own accord, he needs to be seen, he will go down hill fast, esp because he is such a small dog with little fat reserve to fall back on.
My dog has a bladder problem, where he can try but nothing seems to come out, dribbling and small or slow flow.
This could be his bladder not working properly after surgery, it could take a few days for the muscles to start functioning normally again.
Seriously if i was you, i would take him back, tell them what he is like and get him checked over.
If he is retaining any kind of fluids in his bladder and not able to pass it, it will hinder his recovery and extended his bladder which could be giving him pain.
My lads function doesn't work as it should, so on drugs to help the muscle relax so he can go normally.
Don't leave it long, hes a little dog who isn't eating or drinking, passing blood, with possibly an infection from his wound, not worth waiting to see how he goes.
I'm not a vet, but i don't like the sound of his general health.
arwrestling
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-02-2008, 09:24 PM
I'm with you, I don,t like the sounds of it at all either. If there is a vet here, should he be okay for another day... I read that stuff should start clearing up withing 3 or 4 days, and it's been 3 now. The reason I ask is that tomorrow is a National/Stat Holiday in Canada and we cannot afford to pay emergency fees, especially after a rather expensive surgery.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-02-2008, 09:33 PM
There is vet nurses on this site, but no vets.
Although you can ask questions on line to vets, do a search online and you should come across the sites.
Try and keep him quite, give fliuds and food, even if its little and often.
But try and watch the way he is generally, that way your'll have a better info when you contact or see them.
Have you tried chicken, fish to encourage him to eat, anything is better than nothing.
The yellow poo could be the drugs coming out from surgery, so that could be reasonable normal post op, but the blood would worry me.
Esp with not eating or drinking, in such a little dog.
arwrestling
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Well, it's the vomit that yellow, sorry... Not the poop, and we figured he is probably still adujusting to the drugs, because he is small and it may have been too much or so... I'm not sure but the vet almost kept him an extra day, for whatever reason, but called back and said we could pick him up. His poop is regular color, well more dark but we're not overly worried about it. As for the blood, he is paper trained and the last drops of urine were clear, maybe a little tiny bit brown from blood, so that seems to be going away, slowly but surely. I think we'll wait and give him another day and then call the vet on Tuesday, just to make sure.

He just satrted smelling his food, in the last 20 minutes or so, but has not eaten so he might start soon, we'll see... And he also seems to want to run, but with the double operation, I guess lots of pain...

Thank you very much Leo, I appreciate the help and comments. You've been helpful and I'll be sure to come back and report what's going on later on.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-02-2008, 09:51 PM
Your welcome, i hope he gets better and starts eating/drinking normally. I would think down to size of dog and the surgery hes had.
Let me know how he goes, and by the way welcome to the board.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Hello AR and welcome to Dogsey
May I just add a little to Leo's good advice..

It Sounds as if Stanley is making a slow recovery if the urine has progressed to being more clear.

If you can get hold of some honey I would melt a tiny amount in some warm water and give it Stanley in the syringe, this will help to get something in his empty tummy and give him energy.

I am a bit concerned that you say his breathing and heartbeat are not normal, are the faster ?
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Well spotted mini.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >