register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

05-07-2006, 10:56 AM
I`ve had a couple of dogs with thornes in their pads & its been really really difficult to find!

One was in the pad itself & I found it by running my fingers back n forth then sideways very gently over the cleaned paw & feeling a tiny, sharp point. Then it was a matter of getting it out with tweezers.

The other was in between the toes, in the webbing, that took a couple of days to find & had to get the vets help. It was embedded we just couldn`t get hold of the tip. He was just about to sedate her when he got hold of it & out it came!! phewwwwwww

Do have a good check, try & get someone to hold him while you check, you need to be very patient tho

Hope its a foreign body rather than anything else, good luck
Hayley
Dogsey Senior

05-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Thanks Christine. I have been checking really carefully everyday for the past week and just can't seem to feel anything. Infact, at one point I was positive I knew just where it was hurting but then when I went back to it he didn't flinch!!

The vet had a good look at his paw and in between his toes this morning whilst I was distracting Glazby with a bag of ham slices which luckily I had the idea to take with me!! The vet said that he couldnt' find anything, or any sign of there being something imbedded.

As much as I'm hoping that it is something imbedded, I can't help but think that when this first happened was when he went to chase his ball. I had thrown it for him and as he turned to run after it he yelped and that was when the limping started. At the time I had a very careful look on the ground in the garden but couldn't see anything that he could have trodden on. Hoping he hasn't pulled anything.

I've been scaring myself for the past 40 minutes with stories of cruciate ligaments and just hoping that he hasn't done this - how I would manage to keep him rested for even a week is going to be interesting!!

Thanks for your advice, its wonderful to be able to come on here and get such good help and support.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

06-07-2006, 06:33 AM
Ahh right after running for his ball??? that puts a different slant on it H.

One of mine started limping right after getting in the chicken run & chasing them around. Turned out to have a partial tear of the cruciate. She was put on strict cage rest & it did heal Rest is very important so try to make sure you stick to vets advice. It just may heal nicely with a lot of rest, whatever it turns out to be
Hayley
Dogsey Senior

06-07-2006, 07:01 AM
Thanks Christine.

I went and got him a nice bone yesterday and he had that in the evening to keep him quiet. Strangely enough he didn't do his usual huffing and puffing come walk time (he usually always comes and tells you when its time to go out). He was happy to lay and chew his bone so it kept him quiet.

I haven't seen any improvement yet (okay I know its only 24 hours) but he's still holding the leg up. Fingers crossed we'll see some improvement in the next couple of days - though apparently its seeing what he's like when he comes off of the tablets that is most important.

Thanks again for your advice, I'll keep you posted!!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2006, 08:03 AM
If he injured himself when running for a ball it is possible that he may have stopped suddenly/awkwardly and twisted (sprained) his foot. Does his 'wrist' joint or foot feel hotter than normal or any slight swelling?

It could of course be what Christine suggested, and in either case he needs to rest it, but a sprain would be the lesser of two evils.

Think you are going to have to stock up on those bones
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

06-07-2006, 08:10 AM
Oh yes agree with S/B doesn`t mean it is cruciate problem could just as easily be a sprain or something jarred

Yes did forget to say, bones & stuffed kongs were lifesavers for keeping Sweep quite 24hrs isn`t long give it time, its surprising what that & rest can do
Hayley
Dogsey Senior

06-07-2006, 12:42 PM
A quick update - went home at lunchtime to see him and take him for his perscribed 5 minute walk on his lead and it wasn't good

He was holding his back leg much higher than before (with his paw almost up at tummy height), he yelped twice within the space of 5 minutes and also seemed much stiffer in general.

He usually throws himself around when I come home at lunchtime however, apart from a waggy tail he wasn't even interested in going out for a wee whereas usually he'll be jumping up and down for his walks.

I called the vet - more to be reassured that this was nothing to worry about however, the vet has said that he wants him in first thing tomorrow morning to x-ray him.

At least this way we'll know whats up sooner rather than him having to suffer for a whole week.

Fingers crossed for my little man.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2006, 01:26 PM
Hi Hayley poor Glazby, it is sounding rather like a joint or ligament problem, we seem to have had quite a few of those lately on DW .
Fingers crossed it is a minor sprain, some ligament problems respond to rest...
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

07-07-2006, 06:23 AM
Good luck with the xray H, least as you say you`ll know soonest whats the problem, always better to have quick diagnosis
Hayley
Dogsey Senior

07-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Thanks Christine I left him at the vets 20 minutes ago and have just got into work.

Little monkey didn't even give me a backwards glance - more than likely hoping that the nice nurse might give him some food as his wicked mum had starved him!!

I'm just waiting now for the call to pick him up and then I've got the rest of the day off to be with him.

Fingers crossed for something simple!!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >