View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hayley
Dogsey Senior

04-07-2006, 07:05 AM

Sore Paw

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone could shed some light on Glazby's sore paw, which he's had for a week now.

Its his lefthandside back paw and seems to be sore on the front pad. I've had a good look at it but can't see any sign of a scratch, cut, sting etc etc.

He's fine out on walks, running about as usual however he seems to be holding it up in the house and has yelped a couple of times.

When I try to look at it and touch it - I can feel all over his foot but when I touch his front pad he pulls his leg away as if it is hurting.

I am wondering if he may have just stepped on something sharp and it might be bruised and, as he has dark pads I wouldn't be able to see the bruising.

Has anyone got any other suggestions? It doesn't seem to be bothering him too much - as I mentioned, he's still running about on his walks with no problems.

Thanks
Hayley.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-07-2006, 08:12 AM
Dogs will often forget or ignore discomfort in the excitement/interest of being out on a walk.

Boxers are a rather stoical breed so if he is yelping then there must be something that needs investigation.

You are certain that it is that one pad? The toe above is ok if you wiggle it and the nail bed is not inflamed? Nothing between the pads or toes?

Have you had a look with a magnifying glass? I once found the tiny tip of a thistle spine stuck in a pad which caused pain only if the pad was moved/manipulated in a certain way.

I would perhaps soak the foot in a saline solution to soften it a little and see if any foreign body might float out. If the discomfort continues then a vet visit would be the best course of action.
Hayley
Dogsey Senior

04-07-2006, 08:33 AM
Thanks for your reply. I think I may just pop him down to the vets for a quick look. He's so wriggly that its hard for me to hold him still and get a proper look at the same time.

So far I've managed to have a look when he's feeling docile and sleepy and is laying down but if I spend too much time looking then he gets inquisitive and sticks his nose in the way!!

I have looked at the toes and the inbetween the toes and can't see any inflamation and unfortunatly I don't have a magnifying glass and so the vets maybe the best course of action.

I know its probably a silly question but where would I buy a saline solution or is it something I would make myself?

Thanks again.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

04-07-2006, 08:40 AM
The vet is always best if you are concerned

Saline solution: 1 teaspoon of salt disolved in a pint of hot water. Let it cool down before using
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2006, 08:43 AM
might be worth checking that he hasn't broken a claw ....this happend to one of mine we couldn't find anything wrong then the vet noticed she has cracked a claw
Hayley
Dogsey Senior

04-07-2006, 08:50 AM
Thanks both of you

I'll be trying the saline solution this evening and I have a vets appointment booked for 10am tomorrow morning. If the solution works then I'll be able to cancel the appointment.

Poor boy - though it didn't stop him trying to chat the ladies up yesterday!!
Hayley
Dogsey Senior

05-07-2006, 09:54 AM
Well we went to the vets today after trying the saline solution last night to no avail (think I had more of it on me than Glaz did on him)

The vet had a good look and still isn't quite sure whats wrong though he has confirmed that there is something wrong but its a case of eliminating the problems to find the cause.

There is definitely not a thorn/splinter, scratch or cut. He has said that he could have something deeply imbedded in his paw and the paw has grown over it or torn muscle or ligament. It could also be hip displasia or cr(?) ligament.

We've got a weeks course of anti-inflammatories and have been told that he's allowed no more than 5 minutes on the lead walking per day for the next week. No playing with toys or being excited. He has to rest as much as possible.

Once he's had the course of anti-inf's we then have to see if the problem re-occurs in which case he'll need to go in for a general anaesthetic so that the vet can have a better look and also a possible x-ray.

Glaz was such a good boy. The vet had both of his back legs off the floor at one point and all Glaz did was turn round and give the vet a big smacker on the chops!!!!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

05-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Good luck with the restricted exercise

I hope it is not HD or a cruciate problem. Please keep us up-dated.
Hayley
Dogsey Senior

05-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Thanks!! I did ask the vet if he could explain the restricted exercise thing to Glazby!! He's going to be like a coiled spring by this time next week as a small thing like being in pain doesn't stop him from leaping around like a loon (he is a boxer afterall)!!

I'm hoping its not either of those two things either. I know a bit about HD but I know nothing about the cruciate ligament. Could you give me a bit of info on that?

My hopes are pinned on it being something deeply imbedded in his paw which, under anaesthetic will be dug out quite easily. Fingers crossed.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

05-07-2006, 10:42 AM
I do hope it is a foreign body in his pad that can be easily removed.

Several members on DW have had dogs with cruciate ligament problems. If you type cruciate ligament into the DW search facility (in the left-hand column) you will pull up several threads.

A Google search for "cruciate ligament rupture" + dog (or dogs) will give you lots of information.

If you can't find what you are looking for just give a shout
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >