View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2006, 09:58 AM

AMP beef chunks (what do they consist of?)

My local pets at home have started doing a more varied menu from AMP, which can only be good. I bought a pack of beek chunks, they were frozen and I thought they had bone in them. Now I defrosted some last night for the dog's breakfast today, and they are all soggy (lots of blood) and horrible and I won't buy them again. Yuk.
However I noticed that alot of the chunks have a thick white bit which is covered in spikes, which resemble teeth, but are obviously just a tougher skin/cartlidge type of tissue. I wonder if it is stomach or intestine (but villi are normally very very small, for increased absorbtion) It's really annoying me that I can't figure out what these horrible things are... maybe from the underside of tounge? Anyone know anything about cow anatomy!??
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2006, 10:03 AM
lol...you are like me jess...I haven't used amp stuff but I have got some mince from another place and analysed what I thought the bits and pieces were...I've got no idea what these teeth like things are...lol...Take a picture I wanna see...lol
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2006, 10:09 AM
i will ! after posting that I realised that we don't really know what we are getting from any company. I have a feeling this is stomach or intestine, and this is just waste product. I know, lambs ribs etc are waste too, but they are cheap, and I paid £4 for this bag, and I can do better just buying real musclular meat or mince fresh for the butcher. If I bought stomach and digestive tract from the butchers it woudl be free...
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2006, 10:30 AM
yeah I feel the same way Jess, you don't have any idea exactly what goes into the pet minces...and that is one thing as a raw feeder that I like to be in control of.

I much prefer getting them breast of lamb etc. At the mo they are getting tripe from a pet food place and well it is a given what is in that, they are also getting a bit of beef and lamb as pure meat from the same place because I find beef and lamb as pure meat so expensive. It is a difficult one isn't it. I just hope that because I feed them everything else fresh from the butchers, like breast of lamb, lamb neck, whole chicken, chicken wings, ox heart, liver, kidney etc etc that these two products are well balanced out.

I don't find the rmb part of the diet hard at all but the pure meat part can prove a little pricey but I want that meat to be muscle meat not half intestines etc...I wrote off to the place I got my mince from to ask exactly what goes in it as I said I already feed offal etc so I would be over balancing that part of the diet if any thing like guts etc were included in the minces and that I need them to be just muscle meat. Still waiting to hear.
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2006, 10:35 AM
You never know wahts in these pre-packed meals I would never buy them personaly, I have a good butcher who I have had for the past 3 years and he's never let me down with fresh meat
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2006, 10:38 AM
how much do you guys pay for pure muscle meat? and what do you get??
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2006, 10:43 AM
I pay 1.99 for 250g a bag and I think that is very good
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2006, 10:45 AM
that is good! what is it you ask for?
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2006, 11:05 AM
see I think that is expensive though, when you think about it, my biggest dog gets a kilo of food a day, if he is on an all meat day 1.99 for 250g works out really expensive throughout time. Even if he is on a one meat meal day that is still expensive.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2006, 11:06 AM
course it's not expensive for the little ckcks's though
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >