Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post

With regards to 'killing for fun' - my views remain the same on that. I just don't understand why an intelligent and compassionate species would want to kill anything 'for fun'.
Can you define 'fun' Azz?

I shoot because i enjoy it-that is my truth. Now whether im live shooting or punching paper at long distances it makes no difference,but in my defence what i shoot are regarded as pest species so does how does that sit with you?

For the record i dont shoot pheasant,fowl or deer. I dont have anything against it,but it just dont appeal to me thats all.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post

dont even get me started on human population and keeping their numbers in control! i have views on that too whole other debate!
O good! We agree on something then - look forward to that debate!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
New born lambs are a common target for foxes and there is no way on earth you can secure fields from them-end of. I know you're gonna probably mention Llamas etc,but they're just another mouth to feed for a farmer who is already screwed over price wise.

Foxes benefitting agriculture? Maybe if they stuck to rabbit,but they dont and never will.
Hang on a minute - that's anthropomorphisation in the extreme! Or a skewed version of it - why on earth should fox, as a species, care a hoot about "benefitting agriculture", or "sticking to rabbits"! Every single living thing on this planet, from bacteria upwards, is interested in one thing, and one thing only - survival long enough to pass on its genes. Of course new born lambs are a target for foxes ... because they are an EASY target. Farmers are effectively presenting a 3 course gourmet meal on a platter for the fox to just come and help himself. This is what nature is all about - finding the easiest meal. A bit like us going to Waitrose and filling our trolley instead of going out and catching our own meat, and tilling our soil to grow our own crops.

I really struggle to understand why anyone should have a problem with understanding that the fox is just trying to survive the easiest way possible. Just like we are ... it's called NATURE!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 08:24 PM
well our hounds dont get destroyed when they are past it, we still have hounds at 9 years old (think thats our oldest) we often swap hounds with other hunts, for instance one has just gone to stud somewhere.

yes people do get rid of hounds that dont work, just like people who get rid of collies who dont work on the farm, or greyhounds who dont run etc. it happens everywhere when the dog isnt good enough for the job it is meant to do.

alot of working folk tend to do work on the dogs themselves, its not just hunt people and their hounds.

we dont whack our young ones when theyre training or our old ones. like i said in my previous post we whip around the area.

ive been hit with a whip, yeah it hurts that was us pratting about though
Although I come from a very strong fox hunting background, I am no longer a "pro". However, I would strongly advocate anyone - both anti and pro - reading the book "The Running Foxes" by Joyce Stranger. It is very moving, from both viewpoints.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Although I come from a very strong fox hunting background, I am no longer a "pro". However, I would strongly advocate anyone - both anti and pro - reading the book "The Running Foxes" by Joyce Stranger. It is very moving, from both viewpoints.
I read this many years ago.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 08:30 PM
thanks

im sure they could make great pets, however there are not many people who would be able to cope with a hound thats been working for 7 years and been allowed to kill. i think personally they would be more of a challenge than your siberians.. they are used to living in massive packs, sleeping with at least 5 from anywhere up to 30 other dogs. do you think its fair on that dog after being kenneled for 7 years with other dogs, been exercised for hours and hours a day, free reign, to be put in a house on his own, with nowhere near the exercise theyre used to getting?
I must step in here - northern breeds in general have a VERY strong prey drive, as strong as a foxhound, if not stronger. Most sibe and mal breeders will advocate that owners do not EVER let their dogs off lead (I actually disagree with this, but I am merely stating fact here as most breeders will advise that their pups are never let off lead).

I personally know of working husky breeders who keep their sibes in large packs in a very similar way to fox hounds. It is the most natural way actually for ANY breed of dog to be kept IMO, bearing in mind their wolf ancestry, so it is probably slightly fatuous to single out any one particular breed. However, I take on board what you say about foxhounds. Personally though, I would not have problem with homing a retired foxhound who was released from his hunting duties for whatever reason. I see no reason why, provided that they get plenty of exercise and have a stable companion, they should not make very good house pets. I would think you might need to be flexible with the housetraining side of things, but foxhounds are still dogs, even if they are not traditionally house pets. They are still domesticated wolves, still pack animals with all the pack rules instilled in them - I see no reason why a retired fox hound should not have a good life in the appropriate setting.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I read this many years ago.
Me too - I was pretty young, and it made me cry buckets! Did you enjoy it? It made a big impression on me, I have to say.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 08:39 PM

I shoot because i enjoy it-that is my truth. Now whether im live shooting or punching paper at long distances it makes no difference,but in my defence what i shoot are regarded as pest species so does how does that sit with you?

For the record i dont shoot pheasant,fowl or deer. I dont have anything against it,but it just dont appeal to me thats all.
I agree with Azz, Steve. I could more than easily kill for food in any way that it took. However, I would never, ever ever get a momentary frisson of pleasure from the actual kill. The hunt itself, yes, it is ingrained in our genetic makeup the thrill of the chase, after all sport is just ritualised hunting. But my own personal feeling is that when it comes to the kill, the actual severing of life itself, there should be no thrill - apart from the fact that you are going to eat and stop being hungry, if you were living in a "wild" situation.

I don't know whether you are familiar with the series of "Torak" books by Michelle somebody - Paver? There are a set of 5 books, set about 5000 or 6000 years ago when man was a hunter gatherer mainly, before farming. One of the main characters, a female called Renn, kills an animal for food herself - I think it was a bird - and she has no qualms in killing the bird, taking its life, to sustain her own, but she pays homage to the bird after its death, respecting that by losing its life it has enabled her to live on. This illustrates how I feel about killing animals - it should never be for fun, even though I can understand the thrill of the chase. I can understand the thrill of the hunt, the chase, but never the kill.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-11-2012, 08:49 PM

I would define 'killing for fun' where one enjoys the act of (or takes pleasure from) killing, or taking part in, an activity where an animal is killed.

If you like shooting - there are shooting activities that don't involve the killing of animals, such as disk/clay shooting.

Or there's always video games
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Hi Nic

I have no problems with people hunting for food. In fact I think that is *much* better for people's health _and_ for the environment (of course within reason - how it is done, what species are being caught, etc).

Have you seen how tinned fish is caught? Nets the size of football fields are dragged along the sea bed destroying everything in their path it's disgusting - and is going to bite us in the bum in the not too distant future as important coral and other natural habitats (and species) are being destroyed in the process.

So I am actually for people hunting/catching their own food - in a renewable and ethical manner. It is far better for our species, the animal world and the planet.

With regards to 'killing for fun' - my views remain the same on that. I just don't understand why an intelligent and compassionate species would want to kill anything 'for fun'.
Still agree.

Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Me too - I was pretty young, and it made me cry buckets! Did you enjoy it? It made a big impression on me, I have to say.
Me too - in fact you have inspired me to dig it out and read it again. Thank you!
Page 13 of 21 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »