Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
I made the point that people have what I refer to as 'supermarket ethics', ie they like to think they don't condone cruelty, and it's easy to look at fox hunting and say it's cruel and should be banned, and meanwhile do nothing else within your own lifestyle that would affect you personally but feel very good about some of your values, there are (unfortunately) plenty of folk that do. I've been indiscussion on other forums where people are vehemently against fox hunting, and yet too poor to afford anything except two for a fiver chickens and battery farmed hens eggs. For me, it's a lifestyle choice, and I personally find it very hypocritical for someone to spout against what they perceive as cruelty on the one hand, and yet still be happy to support other forms of cruelty so as not to impact on their lifestyle. I hope that makes sense?

Vegetarianism is a difficult one, I'm aware, as I'm sure many vegetarians are, that much of the produce is imported, and that it's difficult to eat just seasonal produce and not support poor farming practices, including soya production which has seen great areas of rain forest in Southern America disappear. In a way, although indirectly, many vegetarians support animal cruelty, and many are happy to do so without actually knowing, or researching, because ignorance is bliss.

As I said previously on this thread, and have done on others, I'm not particularly pro hunting, nor am I really against it, I think there are more important issues to worry about in life, more difficult problems to solve. What I do hate is the humanisation people put to hunting, and hunting with dogs. Animals live every day with the threat of death hanging over them, foxes didn't all suddenly start trotting around knowing that they weren't hunted, and they still live with that predator/prey survival instinct, although I will add the proviso that urban foxes seem to be evolving into a different creature from rural foxes, much bolder, larger and unfortunately I fear more disease ridden from the sheer numbers of them now.

Unfortunately, the side effect of the hunting ban has been a number of law suits taken to the courts, nothing to do with fox hunting, but other pursuits involving hunting with dogs, such as ratting, rabbiting etc. I've even seen instances where people training their dogs for shooting, have been threatened with calling the police as it's an illegal activity (apparently). The law as it stands seems to be unworkable, and for that reason, I hope it's repealed.
Yes, it does. I was writing my post late at night and I knew from following the thread for a while that someone, somewhere, had mentioned about supermarket ethics but I was too tired to go back and find it I agree, I think it is hypocritical to be anti fox hunting and then to eat eggs from battery hens and foods from other intensively reared animals. I included that part in my post because to me, whether the animal is wild, domestic or farm, its quality of life is important to me. So yes, I very much understand why you bought it into the thread.

I accept your point about soy, but I will say that (1) as far as I am aware, the vast majority of soy is imported as animal feed and (2) although I do eat quorn products and the like, they account for a very small part of my diet. So yes, again I agree that it is contributing to deforestation and no that is not right at all but if vegetarians stopped consuming it all together we would still be importing almost as much to feed the animals destined to be eaten.

Again, I agree with you that foxes and other animals live with the constant threat of death be that from another animal, man or a car.

One aspect of fox hunting that I find particularly distasteful though is the pleasure that it seems to bring to some people. Killing a fox that has been killing a farmers stock is a necessary task, not something that needs to be enjoyed and celebrated by other people. Yes, I can understand the farmer thinking 'thank goodness it's dead' but why do some many other people take such pleasure in celebrating an animal's death? Some time ago I was coming back from a bike ride and found a frog in the middle of the road, one of it's back legs had been completely crushed and it was crawling around in circles quite pathetically I couldn't let it continue to suffer like that, so I swiftly killed it. I will say that I felt a momentary relief afterwards that the animal was no longer suffering but I gained no pleasure from killing it, neither did my husband from watching me do it. It was a task that needed to be done, pure and simple, not something to be celebrated.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2012, 01:14 PM
I think it is hypocritical when there are other options available, and added to that, the amount of waste some folk throw out, it really is criminal. If we don't eat it in this house, generally the dogs get it. I also use the local butchers, I hate buying any meat from supermarkets, they've become a necessary evil since some smaller high street shops have disappeared, you're forced to buy some products at least from them.

It's nigh on impossible to be completely ethical in how you live these days, I prefer second hand furniture, crockery etc, so much of what we put in our homes these days just gets turned into landfill in a couple of years. But that's going way off topic!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2012, 01:58 AM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
Having had time to read the last long post will try and do so later, I'm just having my morning cuppa before dog walking, but how can you come to this conclusion? It's better for you, but how would you know what the fox thinks, given the direct alternative of being trapped in a situation, or not being trapped, without giving the fox the gift of foresight and understanding, I'd imagine the fox would choose the least stressful situation. Of course you'd like to imagine the fox is trapped and happily released into the wild elsewhere, when in reality, that really doesn't happen all of the time, foxes are released into areas they don't know, where it's unsuitable for them because of our impact and they then become a nuisance again. Or else why is it that foxes that have been shot on land with permission, show signs of operations, including one three legged fox neatly stitched up? One person shot 12 newly released foxes in one night after being asked to do so by a landowner, they knew all of the populaltions in that area, and these were new, some with signs of medical intervention. Is that fair?

The hunting ban is not just fox hunting, it impacts on all areas where dogs are used alongside hunting/shooting, including ratting with terriers.
If anyone is releasing 3-legged foxes into the wild it is a bit irresponsible for that animal and those person/s should be brought to task

You are going slightly off topic - talking about animals that have had medical treatment and released still with stitches. That is something the aurthorities should be made aware of

I cant agree with you that a fox or any animal would prefer to be torn to shreds by a pack of dogs.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2012, 02:02 AM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
I never said i condoned it, i said it was in their nature, at the end of the day they are dogs, they do catch things and when you have 5 living together they naturally become a pack, no way would they listen to me if they are hunting
I have always lived with packs of dogs - 3 and 4 at a time and never had any "pack" that killed another animal
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2012, 02:04 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Pretty much yes. The green belt is still green belt, but the Fox situation since the ban particularly, and with fools that feed Foxes in towns (specifically) their numbers have rocketed. Awful nuisance.
I will pass your comments onto my brother in law regarding foxes

The area where you live sounds pretty idyllic + unique
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2012, 02:10 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i mentioned rats because of the dog link. if people would rather a fox be shot than got with hounds, then what about rats, posion or terriers getting them? same issue.

sorry maybe i used the wrong smiley. i do not find hunting funny in anyway.. i meant with that bit what if the hounds were used, without people on horseback, and the hounds flushed the fox out of cover and it was shot?

again, if you havent seen it then you dont know... the foxes do not get torn apart, at least not alive.. its always a quick kill be it with either a gun, or the lead dog biting and snapping the neck, just like a dog killing a rabbit.
Its not you know, hunting is hunting, poisoning rats is another - why not open another thread up for such an issue.

Why do you assume I have not seen first hand what goes on at hunts.............
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2012, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
I will pass your comments onto my brother in law regarding foxes

The area where you live sounds pretty idyllic + unique
Please do, education is the key. The more that know how stupid it is and that is only makes the problem worse, the better. When numbers are better managed again, it will be better all round.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
If anyone is releasing 3-legged foxes into the wild it is a bit irresponsible for that animal and those person/s should be brought to task

You are going slightly off topic - talking about animals that have had medical treatment and released still with stitches. That is something the aurthorities should be made aware of

I cant agree with you that a fox or any animal would prefer to be torn to shreds by a pack of dogs.
That's because you're missing the point, the fox wouldn't be able to rationalise whether it prefers being captured for a short while before being released, or left to take it's chances with the hounds, and that's because people tend to humanise the situation.

I don't think I'm off topic, we're talking about repealing the hunting ban, which entails all sorts of issues, unfortunately, many seem to be focussing on one aspect of the hunting ban, fox hunting, which is only a small part of it.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2012, 02:41 PM
All this talk of the lead dog killing the fox and then the rest of the hounds getting in on it got me wondering...Just how far in front is the lead hound? I find it difficult to believe that the lead hound is so far in front of the rest of the pack and that he can get a good enough purchase on the fox in the correct bodily area to execute a bite that will kill it instantly, before the rest of the pack catch up and play tuggy with it?

Of all the canine hunting packs i've seen on wildlife programmes, there isnt a single dog that administers the fatal bite, whilst the rest of them stand round waiting for the animal to die. They all pitch in to bring it down, some even start eating the animal before it's bloomin dead (something I find very distressing to watch).
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Please do, education is the key. The more that know how stupid it is and that is only makes the problem worse, the better. When numbers are better managed again, it will be better all round.
Oh he would be quite happy to discuss it with you- he is one of these people who happily 'discusses' things for hours on end & you wish you hadnt started to discuss it in the first place .
Page 26 of 27 « First < 16 23 24 25 26 27 >