Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
next she will be referring to them as her furkids

(she is gonna kill me for that!)

Hmm, perhaps I need to send Arrow round......... ?

The words, hell and freeze come to mind...........
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Hmm, perhaps I need to send Arrow round......... ?

The words, hell and freeze come to mind...........
PMPL

(would be quite funny!)
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
next she will be referring to them as her furkids

(she is gonna kill me for that!)

I think we should keep this thread going until Twiggy's next birthday!
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 07:52 PM
She is lovely, the long hair really is stunning.
Voraus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Yes she is a LHW.

The USA is the sole country in the world that does not recognise the coat variant and thus they cannot be shown.

Under FCI rules they are shown in separate classes to the shorts but in the UK under the KC rules they are shown in the same classes.

They are not as popular as the shorts although now, with the docking ban I think they are becoming less of a novelty item.

I have had both shorts and longs.
How does the breed compare to German Shepherds? Have to ask because you're the first I've come across who's worked with both German Shepherds and Weimaraners. Most people I know with GSDs or Mals tend to stay away from the sporting (gundog) group.

I've only met a handful of Weims personally, unfortunately they were neither well bred nor well handled. Tons of nervous energy, very fidgety dogs for lack of a better word. A little nervy, and overly environmentally sensitive... not at all what the breed should be from even the little I've heard. I hear the same about poorly bred/managed German Shepherd Dogs, so that makes me curious about the well bred specimens of the breed.
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Found her! I know you said no more but.....

Ooooooooooooooo Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

She is stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Voraus View Post
How does the breed compare to German Shepherds? Have to ask because you're the first I've come across who's worked with both German Shepherds and Weimaraners. Most people I know with GSDs or Mals tend to stay away from the sporting (gundog) group.

I've only met a handful of Weims personally, unfortunately they were neither well bred nor well handled. Tons of nervous energy, very fidgety dogs for lack of a better word. A little nervy, and overly environmentally sensitive... not at all what the breed should be from even the little I've heard. I hear the same about poorly bred/managed German Shepherd Dogs, so that makes me curious about the well bred specimens of the breed.
Nothing like a GSD.

GSDs are handler dependent, Weimaraners are definitely NOT!

Eg If I open the car door, one dog will be 4 fields away self employed, all day if I let her, the other one will be tripping me up!

If you say JUMP a GSD will often say "how high" ? A Weimaraner will often respond with "say please"

As in all breeds there is a lot of tosh written about them.

Highly strung, Velcro Dogs, suffer from Separation Anxiety, well I have had 4 and none of the above has applied to any of them (although the one I rehomed was nuts).

They pop out of the womb with their noses on the ground tracking (certainly those with strong working lines do) and they should reflect the breed standard which states:

Hunting ability of paramount concern

I have met some ghastly specimens though!
Voraus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-05-2012, 09:29 PM
LOL!! Love the comparison - sounds like I was right when I decided gundogs were not the ones for me. I'd just hit a dead end with the dog every time I wanted something, our lives would just turn into a battle of wills

With my lack of experience and ability (and yes, let's face it, a total lack of willingness to engage and revel in a challenge), I'll be sticking with the handler oriented dogs for a while. I'll think about what you said the next time I complain my German Shepherd is "handler hard" or "independent"!

I do often hear that they are high strung, and that had been my experience with the individuals I met. Glad to hear that should not be the case. They sure sound like fun dogs to be around!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Oh Twiggy, big 12 year old now, a good looking one at that! (loving the ears) and no pressies from Mum? what a meanie, come and live here!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 09:59 PM
If you say JUMP a GSD will often say "how high" ? A Weimaraner will often respond with "say please"

As in all breeds there is a lot of tosh written about them
"say please" made me laugh, sounds like my Loui
Page 7 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >