View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Max shivers when he gets told off... I think its because he's trying to look as pathetic as possible so I'll love him again
Suzanne2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-12-2011, 10:09 PM
We think our rescue dog does it because she gets attention when she does, and that reinforces the behaviour. But it is so hard not to cuddle her when she shakes, so it's a bit of a vicious circle!
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2011, 10:20 PM
Phoebes quite a nervy dog but i have never seen her shivver or shake
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2011, 10:25 PM
id be interested to see the replies to this thread because asbo shakes alot.

he does it randomly sometimes, but i know he does it when he gets excited.

people always say "ooh look at him shaking, he must be cold" because he has no hair... but i know he isnt cold because i constantly feel him to see if he is, and if his body temperature is lower (hes generally quite warm, but sometimes you can feel the difference)
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2011, 10:54 PM
I know this is an old thread reborn........

Chi's shiver/shake, and people always assume they are cold cos they are small, but it's a 'breed' thing, and they shake for everything! cold/warm/tired/excited/hungry/not hungry etc!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2011, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
I know this is an old thread reborn........

Chi's shiver/shake, and people always assume they are cold cos they are small, but it's a 'breed' thing, and they shake for everything! cold/warm/tired/excited/hungry/not hungry etc!
think its a small dog thing, asbo does it too but because hes got no hair, i get told im cruel and should put a coat on him! i know hes fine and just faking
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2011, 02:21 AM
Our rescue dog at my mums does it when she is anxious, for example, when there are fireworks. We try our best not to reinforce it, she seems alot better when she has somewhere to hide.

Jin does it occasionally.....the only reason Ive managed to figure out is that its when she is unsure of what to do (ie, when the buns are having some free range time, even though shes been trained since day one to ignore them, perhaps its fighting back urges?).
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-12-2011, 02:28 AM
Molly shivers when she is resisting doing something norty
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-12-2011, 07:22 AM
Pereg had a shivering/quivering session yesterday morning but with her it could have been the possible start of a partial seizure, as it is not normal for her.
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

31-12-2011, 07:54 AM
Saba shivers several times a day, whenever she is excited. If she sees some birds, someone comes down the drive, one of the neighbours dogs barks, just before her walk, etc, etc. It's positive energy, and we call it 'the dithers'. I think most Pointers do this. It's quite funny when she gets really revved up, as her thighs will be knocking together, she's quivering so much.

It's quite different from shivering when she's upset or scared. My other dog has only shivered once, and that was when he was really sick. So if a dog doesn't normally do it (like Pereg), then it is worrying. If it does (like Saba and Asbo) then a) you need to put up with all the comments about how cruel you are to let your dog get so cold, and b) you need to be able to recognise the difference between good and bad shivering.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >