Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Janay15
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-11-2006, 03:58 PM

She isn't eating

I'm getting worried about my dog Sherry. She is a 16 year old crossbreed (although you'd never believe shes 16 as shes normally so fit and energetic).

Let me start from the begining ... last Sunday, Sherry ate alot of food.
She had her breakfast (tinned meat) than later on that day, my mum gave her a bit of bone meat veg and gravy left over from dinner as she always does on Sundays. Along with the dinner left overs, she also ate an entire bowl of dry biscuit food. I then gave her a bit of an 'apple & nut roast' thing. Me and my family also gave her a couple of sticks (dog treats). Please note we don't always give her large amounts of food like this and we don't usually give her so much human food, it was just a one off. We didn't realize untill the end of the day how much we had given her.
Unsuprisingly, she was sick later on that evening - it looked as though she'd brought the entire lot back up.
We knew what had caused her to be sick, so we weren't really too worried, we just assumed she'd be fine in a day or two.
The next day, she didn't eat any food ... again we weren't worried as we expected she would probably still feel a bit ify after last night.
The next day (Tuesday) she still didn't eat anything all day. She drunk alot of water throughout the day, which seems like a good sign to me.
Today, she still hasn't eaten anything, we dished her breakfast up, but she didn't touch it. Again she has been drinking alot of water.

Me and my family are starting to get worried ... this isn't the first time in her life that she's been sick, and it's not the first time she's gone off her food as a result, but it's been nearly three days since she last ate.

She doesn't seem to be in any sort of discomfort, shes going about the house as she normally does, although she does seem to be more weak/tired than usual (probably as she hasn't eaten).

We keep hoping that shes just caught some sort of bug, and she'll get over it soon.
It seems really strange as before she was overfed on Sunday she was perfectly fine - she was lively, energectic, eating all her meals. She went to the vets for her yearly check-up and jabs a few weeks ago and as always the vet told us she was fine.

Has anyone else here had a similar experience with thier dog? Could it just be a stomach bug from all the food we gave her on Sunday? It was only after Sherry was sick on Sunday that she went off her food. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. We love her to bits.

Janay
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2006, 04:06 PM
She didn't have cooked bone did she?
Janay15
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Yes - why is that bad?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2006, 04:11 PM
the large meal might be a red herring .... I think i would get the vet to check her out

it could be the bone meal
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by Janay15 View Post
Yes - why is that bad?
yes i think it is ....cooked bones can splinter and end up place's they shouldn't

i would see the vet
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2006, 04:55 PM
Definitely see the vet for maybe an x ray - cooked bones are an absolute no no for dogs.
I'd go sooner rather than later - but not meaning to be alarmist!