Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jeppy82
New Member!
Female 

22-07-2015, 04:32 PM

Need some series help here

Hi Guys,

First let me just say that I love the dog I recently rescued from a shelter. She is sweet (part catahoula, part shepard) and she and I have been getting along great. I've had her for about three weeks now.

A little back story. When I adopted her, I was told she was approx 12 weeks old, but when I got her paperwork I saw that she was actually born in November. Older then I'd have liked, but I didn't see it as being that big of a deal. I did want a younger dog because, first, there are a lot of young children in my family, and, second, my husband has never owned a pet before in his life (I've never not had a couple) and I thought it would be an easier introduction for everyone if our new addition was younger.

Now here's my problem. Aspen (our dog) is acting very aggressive towards the kids and my parents. I know the attitude is based on fear. (I don't know the dogs back-story or what might have happened in her past). She'll shy away, bark, and lounge for the kids. I have spent the last three weeks working with her. I make sure she is exhausted before the kids come over (we're talking 3 mile run and dog park). I make sure the kids act calmly and have them give her treats whenever they are there so she'll associate them with positivity. I have my older niece) accompany us on walks (the dog is harnessed and beside me), to again, associate children in a positive light. These kids have grown up around dogs, labs, goldens, beagles, **** zus and none of the dogs have every acted the way my baby is. We'll have five minutes of excellent behavior and then she'll go after one of the kids until I pull her back.

I love this dog, but I'm thinking my home, constantly overflowing with kids, might not be the best fit for her. I've contacted the shelter I got her from and they said they'd help me find her another home if needed (NO, returning her to shelter, I would foster). I've been sitting on this idea for 24 hours now and feel completely lost. I want what is both best for her, my family, and my husband. I wouldn't trust her around anyone if I wasn't present. (Not a complaint against my husband, he just doesn't understand dogs, yet).

For the first time in my life I'm thinking about giving up one of my babies and I'm gutted and totally feeling like a big, stupid loser. I feel like the longer I wait to make a decision the worst it will be for both her and I. I've looked into training classes and am considering it, but (and I really don't have a large ego) I've always been great with dogs, always had excellent trained dogs of all varieties. I'm not an expert, but I think I'm pretty capable, except with this situation.

Feedback IS hugely appreciated.

Thanks,

Ash
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2015, 05:59 PM
Firstly you are not a loser you are just trying to find the best solution. For your peace of mind you must think of the humans first and the stress levels the dog is going through. Every time the dog is put into a situation when it is tired or in your words exhausted the fight or flight thing kicks in. So you have two options keep the dog safely in another room away from annoying, in her mind, humans until you have had time to work carefully with her to help her overcome her fears or re home her soon before something happens.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2015, 07:35 PM
Honestly, it's not even about thinking of the humans first. It's about thinking of everyone. This dog is, sadly, very uncomfortable with kids. There are things you can do, but it's a long hard road and can result in someone getting injured and a death sentence for the dog. Neither of which you want.

I would very much consider helping the shelter rehome her in a place without kids. I think SHE would be happier and you would not be quite so on edge. I think it would be a win-win situation for her AND your family.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2015, 05:05 AM
Exactly, as I said everyone be it human or dog. Sorry if you misunderstood. The sooner there is a solution the better. I feel for owners that are let down by the rescue centre by not helping quicker when there is a problem like this. They, the rescue centre, should surely help by taking the dog back and not expect the present owner to 'foster'. It still doesn't help the situation.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2015, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
Exactly, as I said everyone be it human or dog. Sorry if you misunderstood. The sooner there is a solution the better. I feel for owners that are let down by the rescue centre by not helping quicker when there is a problem like this. They, the rescue centre, should surely help by taking the dog back and not expect the present owner to 'foster'. It still doesn't help the situation.
Wise words as always Brenda. Thank you. When I took collie in, she had a reputation for biting and everyone was scared of her. My landlady even refused to leave her car if collie was about. She had apparently nipped a neighbours heel ONCE. A lively young untrained collie simply rounding up a sheep! She then went for the vet apparently .. fear every time as you rightly say. So many people for a dog to cope with in this situation
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2015, 05:35 PM
First off I would be on phone or computer immediately for a rescue group that will physically take her in until she can be adopted. My Sophie is as you describe. Fear driven in everything she does.
She's older now, I'm older and my youngest is 14 and knows how to behave so Sophie doesn't get "funny". I wouldn't trust her with a young child for a second though. My first grandbaby will be born shortly and they will never know Sophie.
But you have a totally different situation and have to think first of the safety of all concerned. It doesn't mean you failed at anything. It was just a bad fit. There IS a perfect dog out there waiting for you, you just have to find them...<<<hugs>>>