Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 01:10 PM

New long line design help please

I ordered a large roll of yellow webbing from my supplier and it arrived this morning. I want to make Cooper a new 6ft long line to go on the walking belt I made as it's a bit more visible than the red one he currently has that I threw together out of an old lunge line.

I have decided I want a handle on it near where the clip to his harness is so that I can keep him closer when walking near roads etc, but I can't decide which design for the handle is better.

I am doing a loop on the ends so if a clip breaks etc I can replace it easily.

First design is having the handle stitched into where the loop is stitched, it will probably make it stronger but it makes a flappy handle that is likely to get caught on things. I am thinking of adding a bit of velcro to keep it flat but it would mean adding velcro on both sides of the handle to keep it flat or sewing one half of the handle to the 'base' of the line.

Second design is that I attach the handle higher up on the line which gives a flat handle, and I can use a bit of velcro to keep it flat so it doesn't get caught on things (hopefully), but it doesn't look as 'neat' and might not be as strong as the other type of handle.

Which design do people think will work better, or does anyone have any ideas on how to incorporate the handle?
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 01:16 PM
I have a double ended training lead, which has a handle next to the clip, and how they've done it is kind of like the second idea, but with (square type) stitching at the top and bottom of the handle to make it almost flat. (does that make sense?).

I personally couldn't cope with a flappy handle, so out of the two you've shown there, I think number 2 would win (or number 1 but with a row of stitching on the inside connecting the handle to the lead - which I suppose would make it like number 2).
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 01:23 PM
What about adding a loop or small sleeve sewn into the line that the handle can be tucked into when not in use, to prevent it catching on things.
Alternatively, rather than a handle, could you put a knot or a notch of some kind to give more grip and then just wrap the lead around your hand once when using it for road walking.
As another option, not quite a built-in handle, but how about making a regular longline but make the other end have a detachable handle with another clip? Then you have the option of leaving the longline trailing with no handle at all, using it as a longline with a handle to hold onto, or using the handle on his collar for road walking.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 01:57 PM
How about attaching an other clip along the line so that you can doble over and clip on to the harness forming a loop or onto a D ring just above the harness clip
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 02:10 PM
I'm going to have a clip on the other end as well and have that still clipped to my belt, but just want to be able to grab something closer to him to cross a road or something, then let him have the length of the line again (it's only about 6ft long but it seems to be a good length for us), I've been just holding the line but find it slips out of my hand a bit when walking (nerve damage in one arm and carpal tunnel in other arm so not great at gripping).
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 02:12 PM
So have three clips on one at each end and one in the middle
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Rather than fit the clip on the other end of the lead, you could put D-rings - one at the end and one/two down the length of it. Then have a doublended clip that attached to your belt and one of the two/three/however many d-rings on the lead, so you decide how much slack he has. Does that make sense? A D-ring is less likely to catch when trailing than a handle, but you still don't have to carry any extra leads.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 02:22 PM
I would have thought having a clip in the middle would make it heavy and make the line sag? (potential for getting caught on more things)
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Rather than fit the clip on the other end of the lead, you could put D-rings - one at the end and one/two down the length of it. Then have a doublended clip that attached to your belt and one of the two/three/however many d-rings on the lead, so you decide how much slack he has. Does that make sense? A D-ring is less likely to catch when trailing than a handle, but you still don't have to carry any extra leads.
Would I have to unclip the lead from my belt to make it shorter then? (attempting to picture it in my head! )
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Could you not put a D-Ring where you would like the handle to be, then make a seperate handle with a clip, that you can clip on and off as neccesary? You could keep the handle clipped on your belt!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >