Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
reggie52
New Member!
Female 

02-09-2011, 10:40 AM

Dog chews everything!

My dog came to us as a rescue dog about a year ago and at that time chewed everything in sight - doorframes, corners of walls, carpets and anything else he could get in his mouth. With the use of chew deterrent spray he has improved a lot but still chews when he is bored. I am just about to get a new car and will have to buy a muzzle for him to stop him chewing up a new car - the old one needed a seatbelt replacing and has many teeth marks on it. Whenever I go out he has to go in a crate so he doesn't chew up the house. I would like to be able to leave him in the hallway rather than the crate but think he would chew. Don't suggest giving him toys as he can't have many toys as he destroys almost all toys in minutes - even the ones for powerful chewers - and sometimes eats the bits that he has broken them into. Rawhide seems to upset his stomach so that is not an option either. Any advice or will I just have to stick with the crate?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2011, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by reggie52 View Post
My dog came to us as a rescue dog about a year ago and at that time chewed everything in sight - doorframes, corners of walls, carpets and anything else he could get in his mouth. With the use of chew deterrent spray he has improved a lot but still chews when he is bored. I am just about to get a new car and will have to buy a muzzle for him to stop him chewing up a new car - the old one needed a seatbelt replacing and has many teeth marks on it. Whenever I go out he has to go in a crate so he doesn't chew up the house. I would like to be able to leave him in the hallway rather than the crate but think he would chew. Don't suggest giving him toys as he can't have many toys as he destroys almost all toys in minutes - even the ones for powerful chewers - and sometimes eats the bits that he has broken them into. Rawhide seems to upset his stomach so that is not an option either. Any advice or will I just have to stick with the crate?

Do you not think a car crate would be kinder and more useful for the dog than a muzzle? In case you have to leave him in the car? Dogs should really never be left unsupervised with muzzles on if possible.

Crating a chewer is advisable, at the same time you can give him something to do.

HAve you tried him with a stuffed black kong? Tug a Jug etc?

Have you tried giving him raw meaty bones to chew?
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-09-2011, 11:59 AM
what about a bigger crate? Then he'd have more space and your house would still be safe!

How does he normally travel in the car? Can he go in the boot?
reggie52
New Member!
Female 

02-09-2011, 02:50 PM
Thanks for replies.

I don't have and can't afford a car big enough to put a crate in it. At the moment he goes in the boot but there are still a lot of things a dog can chew in the boot including the fixings for his dog guard! I don't ever leave him in the car and would not leave him with a muzzle on.

His crate is quite big - he chooses to go in it sometimes with the door open and I have watched him. He can get up, move around, re-arrange his blankets and so on so he is not cramped. He does have a kong but he seems to be able to get whatever I put in it out really quickly. He seems quite happy in his crate - it is just that I would prefer to be able to leave him without him chewing.

I don't feel it would be safe to leave him in his crate alone with meaty bones as I am quite sure that he could break bits off the bones as he is such a fierce chewer.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Thanks for replies.

I don't have and can't afford a car big enough to put a crate in it. At the moment he goes in the boot but there are still a lot of things a dog can chew in the boot including the fixings for his dog guard! I don't ever leave him in the car and would not leave him with a muzzle on.

His crate is quite big - he chooses to go in it sometimes with the door open and I have watched him. He can get up, move around, re-arrange his blankets and so on so he is not cramped. He does have a kong but he seems to be able to get whatever I put in it out really quickly. He seems quite happy in his crate - it is just that I would prefer to be able to leave him without him chewing.

I don't feel it would be safe to leave him in his crate alone with meaty bones as I am quite sure that he could break bits off the bones as he is such a fierce chewer.
Ive had this problem too....with 2 of my brood, at the same time. I crated the youngest when I leave the house, she goes in there with her kong & some cardboard books to chew as well as anything else tht makes a noise to keep her occupied. My big fella loves to chew more than anything in the world...I started buying different pates, filling up 2 black kongs & freezing them, he gets one if I have to go to work, then another one when we go to bed...*touch wood* I haven't had any chewing from him since I started doing this...keeps him occupied for hours & believe me, hes a big lad & can chew theough stuff in a matter of minutes.Because am using 2, there is always one in the freezer ready for when we need it...
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Thanks for replies.

How about a beef bone??? Very sturdy bone even lamb bones, you can also get things like Pigs ear and pets at home are now doing cows ear.

So long as your dog chews the bones I wouldnt worry about him choking if he is that fierce then he will probably chew them up into tiney bits first