Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Would like your thoughts please ?

Should rescue's which have taken in pregnant bitches,terminate the pregnancy,allow it to continue and then cull the pups,or allow the bitch to whelp and then try and find homes for the pups ?

I'm really not sure what my feeling's are
OMG they should definately take the bitch in whelp, help deliver all the pups, ensuring the good care of the mother and then find good homes for them all IMO!!

We currently have 5 puppies in Akita rescue, 8 weeks old if anyone is interested......from the same situation

Not the first time it's happened, last time all Akita pups got a lovely home, very easy to rehome! They got the best homes, there were so many people that applied for them...
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Would you support a rescue that did pts any pups instead of rehoming ?
No, most certainly not. A shocking example of a very bad, unsuccessful rescue IMO.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Depends how far gone they were, if a few weeks then I would probs say spay the bitch. If 6weeks and over then I personally believe that the pregnancy should continue and the pups should be born and rehomed when old enough. I would never support a rescue that was said to have let a bitch whelp then take her puppies away from her and have them pts. I mean what kind of stress does that put on a new mum having her pups taken away from her? The rescues may be bursting, but there are always people on rescue lists that would rather have pups for what ever reasons and cant take on an adult dog.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Depends how far gone they were, if a few weeks then I would probs say spay the bitch. If 6weeks and over then I personally believe that the pregnancy should continue and the pups should be born and rehomed when old enough. I would never support a rescue that was said to have let a bitch whelp then take her puppies away from her and have them pts. I mean what kind of stress does that put on a new mum having her pups taken away from her? The rescues may be bursting, but there are always people on rescue lists that would rather have pups for what ever reasons and cant take on an adult dog.
Have to agree with this i would never go to a resuce that did this unless the reason was a very good one indeed regardless of breed.

Also there is nothing wrong with people wanting a puppy rather then an older dog from rescue and to make people feel guilty about it is wrong. Lack of puppies in rescue would not make some people get an older dog it just might mean they go private rehome rather then rescue.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

12-10-2010, 01:42 PM

Would I blame a rescue for putting to sleep any pups from a SBT bitch or a Staffy cross,No, parentage is unknown,there are thousands of them already looking for homes,so why add to the problem of trying to find good homes for another litter of anything up to 8 or 9 pups.
my emphasis

I don't think that dealing with a problem is the same as adding to it otherwise every rescue that didn't euthanise its entire intake could face the same accusation of adding to the rescue crisis.

Isn't it a sad state of affairs when rescue's have to consider this though,because there are too many dogs and not enough homes
Beyond sad. Way beyond sad. But, if we leave SBT as a special class for the moment, can we truly say there are too many dogs if every puppy finds a buyer?

We know that the overwhelming majority of dogs in rescue are adolescent or adult. We know that the overwhelming majority of puppies find a buyer (staffies possibly excepted).

It raises the question, in my mind as to how much this is an oversupply issue, how much a crappy owner problem and how much these two problems interelate.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Alot of SBT Rescues are full,they simply can't take on any more dogs,some are even telling callers to contact other rescues,such as the dogs trust

I guess I am caught in the middle,not for rescue's putting to sleep pups,but I can understand why some opt for it,lack of homes for breeds such as the SBT and it's crosses is a huge huge problem,no foster homes,no kennel space etc etc......

I wasn't trying to make people feel guilty,both my two came from breeder's,that was my choice.....
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
OMG they should definately take the bitch in whelp, help deliver all the pups, ensuring the good care of the mother and then find good homes for them all IMO!!

We currently have 5 puppies in Akita rescue, 8 weeks old if anyone is interested......from the same situation

Not the first time it's happened, last time all Akita pups got a lovely home, very easy to rehome! They got the best homes, there were so many people that applied for them...
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
No, most certainly not. A shocking example of a very bad, unsuccessful rescue IMO.
Agree with the above
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Surely this is a medical question - if the pregnancy is so advanced as to be visible, aborting the pups may well endanger the bitch, surely? On the other hand, this may be the only option if the bitch is unwell.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post

We know that the overwhelming majority of dogs in rescue are adolescent or adult. We know that the overwhelming majority of puppies find a buyer (staffies possibly excepted).

It raises the question, in my mind as to how much this is an oversupply issue, how much a crappy owner problem and how much these two problems interelate.
In my mind there are to many dogs been bred full stop,certain breeds suffering more than others,add to that your irresponsible breeder,pf, and irresponsible owner and it's a disaster,leading to what we have now,a crisis.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

12-10-2010, 01:58 PM
In my mind there are to many dogs been bred full stop.
Too many for what?

Understand that I am not necessarily disagreeing - just trying to define terms.
Page 2 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »