View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
b-eye
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2006, 07:52 AM

attention...how to get dogs to focus on you?

How does everyone hold their dogs attention,, and get them to focus on you, rather than other dogs or distractions,, is treats the best way ?? a friend has asked me she has three large dogs and needs them to focus on her rather than each other
Huggles
B-eye
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2006, 11:14 AM
God knows mine are just as bad, treats don't work on my male hes not very food orientated, treats are only good if the dogs are food orientated, I think some people use things like squeeky toys too but again mine aren't interested in that eather. I think its just a case of finding out what motivates you particular dog & using that.
loretta25
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-07-2006, 11:24 AM
one thing my dogs cant resist is cheese, i cut it into small cubes and they cant get enough, i can get them to do whatever i want as long as they know theres a little cube of cheese comin there way...lol
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2006, 11:27 AM
now this is something Mr Inca has sorted.............with a treat he can get eye contact from all 4 in a row and not one will move till he says so

i think its just patience but it can be done
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2006, 11:40 AM
It does differ between dogs, some will do anything for a treat, some are curious and a slight noise with work with others it's a toy. Best find out what they are most interested in and them use that along with a command like 'watch me' or what ever suits.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2006, 01:13 PM
If sturn is on lead and distracted, the best way I have of getting his attention is to tickle his 'waist' the narrow part at the top of his back legs...stops him in his tracks every time and makeas him refocus on me totally!
With some dogs its food, some it's a fav toy, some it's squeaks and stupid noises, others it's voice, others touch, others a combination. Every dog is different, you just need to spend time working out each individulas 'thing'.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2006, 01:34 PM
Agree, you need firstly to find or else create food or toy that "floats the boat" - keep it special, so don't let it be out all the time or all the time on walks. Make much of it and show how exciting it is ...

All dogs are different, some may do anything for a kong on a rope, others love hot dog. Terriers tend to enjooy squeaky toys, herding dogs toys that can be chased and thrown, retrievers toys to fetch, etc...

If dogs aren't keen on anything, you can actually teach a dog to play or to be besotted with a toy. John Rogerson has written a booklet called "How to get your dog to play" (or similar title, I can't remember the exact title!).

The thing is, to really get the best out of this the owner needs an understanding of how dogs learn. Dogs may do something very well at say dog club but not elsewhere - this is because the training has to be generalised to many places and not just one place - ownere needs to understannd this.

So toys, titbits etc need to be earned rather than just given and lots of training done, timing has to be right etc etc. Perfect the training in one place, then start almost form the beginning in another - soon the dog will become proficient. I used dog shows and country shows for teaching trials exercises - I even did sendaways in a safe part of the car park! Also obey rules like, never call the dog if it is already distracted etc...train over time for total obedience.

Also train one dog at a time.

Not sure if that makes sense but in a big hurry!!!!
b-eye
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Thanks guys,, ,, have passed on everything youve suggested,, its much the same as i would do but just wondered if anyone had anything different,, will see how she gets on
Huggles
B-eye