Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pysces
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-01-2012, 12:49 PM

Neutering affects on behaviour?

Hi,

I hope I'm in the right section - we have two dogs, Jake & Jasper (Jazz for short). They are not related and are totally different breeds, although both are Crosses.

Jake is neutered and he's 8yrs old now. Jasper is 2-3yrs and not neutered. They get along very well, no fighting or anything. We are considering getting Jazz neutered but I worry this will affect the relationship or friendliness between them.

Is this possible, or am I just being stupid?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2012, 01:03 PM
If they have no problems now it is difficult to say why they should have any post neutering as both are now adults.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2012, 01:12 PM
I noticed no differences between friendships when my boy was neutered
as SB says I cant see why there should be problems
But no you are not being stupid, asking when you are not sure is better than not asking and finding out you should have done
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Yes its possible but not probable. Why risk an anesthetic and unnecessary operation on a health well balanced dog?
Pysces
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-01-2012, 09:52 AM
Thanks for your replies. Sorry I hadn't responded sooner.

We're not sure yet, whether to get Jazz done or not. Our vet is urging us to book him in saying it would reduce his risks of certain cancers and stop him from "pouncing" on unsuspecting bitches.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Neutering can make a timid male more timid. It will certainly change his scent to other dogs.
The case for neutering males is not nearly as clear-cut as for bitches, and some say it can increase the risks.
http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/longt...uterindogs.pdf

One of my dogs are entire and two are neutered and they get on fine.
I`m a bit startled the vet thinks neutering stops dogs trying to hump because it doesn`t. The instinct is still there even if the equipment isn`t.
Personally, I always take the view that if it ain`t broke, don`t fix it.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Pysces View Post

We're not sure yet, whether to get Jazz done or not. Our vet is urging us to book him in saying it would reduce his risks of certain cancers and stop him from "pouncing" on unsuspecting bitches.
Nothing in life is risk free, however I have a 7 year old entire male who can tell if a bitch is in season in a 5 mile radius, he has never "pounced" on any bitches and bitches in season are hardly "unsuspecting"

Yes it reduces the RELATIVE risks of certain cancers, but can make no difference and/or increase the likelihood of others.

Do what YOU feel comfortable with.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2012, 11:36 AM

Yes they do this, its their job.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-01-2012, 11:45 AM

From what I remember from when I read about it when I had my boy done (he was only done for both of our sanity as at 5 years old he suddenly went mad over the smell of a female in season). Neutering reduces the risk of some cancers but raises the risk of others. But all the cancer are very low risk anyway so it's not really worth neutering or not for that reason alone.

Male dogs pouncing on females is more about lack of training and manners than if they are neutered or not.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2012, 12:20 PM
stop him from "pouncing" on unsuspecting bitches.
Ha! Didn't happen with my collie! He'd still try to get it on with an in season bitch given the chance. The only thing it changed with him was that he got grumpier after being neutered.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >