Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2008, 10:28 AM

a question for those of you on here that have a shunt

i know a couple of people on here have had or have shunts so was wondering if i could ask a question??

i can feel the lead for the shunt in my neck, when i move my neck it feels really tight, is this normal?
and will it ease in time??

it is driving me crazy at the moment
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2008, 10:41 AM
No experience, hon, just wanted to send you a *hug* x0x
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Hi Jackie, yeah it's normal to be able to feel the tube. It'll get looser in time but I could always feel it to some extent when I moved my head from side to side. I think onc the bruising and swelling has gone down it'll feel a lot better.

Where it went over my collarbone it stuck out and was quite visible.

Also, I could feel the 'chamber' on the outside of my skull. There's a dent there now it's been removed.

Still headache free?
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Thank you Vicki

Thank you so much for that Sarah, i was getting a little worried, i can feel the box behind my ear, freaked me out to start with but am getting used to it now.

i think i am headache free, the last couple of days i have had a pain in my head, wouldnt say it was a headache, but it is a pain in my head if you know what i mean

my vision has improved but not back to normal, but it has only been 3 weeks so it may get better in time
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Yep, it's definately normal to feel the end of the shunt at first - there is quite a lot of swelling after the op and it takes a while to go down, you might still be able to feel it after but you'll get used to it.

it's odd isn't it to actually get a headache and be able to say that its "just a headache" rather than a BIH concrete slamming against head and won't go away sensation!

Your optic nerves take a while to get back to normal once the pressures off - if you wear glasses your prescription may need changing too.

So glad that it went well and your able to enjoy things a bit more

K