Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 01:50 AM
Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
Pre-ban, as a vet nurse I have held hundreds of pups whilst their tails were docked and i never did I ever hear one scream, at most a whimper, most slept through the procedure.

Really??? I find that hard to believe. As a vet nurse myself, I have assisted with this procedure many many times and the puppies ALWAYS scream and cry. Never had one sleep through it. The bitch isn't even allowed in the building during the procedure as it would cause her too much anxiety.

Its disgusting and brutal. If it needs to be done, let it be done when the dog is older and fully anesthetized.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
Really??? I find that hard to believe. As a vet nurse myself, I have assisted with this procedure many many times and the puppies ALWAYS scream and cry. Never had one sleep through it. The bitch isn't even allowed in the building during the procedure as it would cause her too much anxiety.

Its disgusting and brutal. If it needs to be done, let it be done when the dog is older and fully anesthetized.
Obviously they do it different in the US I've had two docked litters and mum was with pups both times. Also the pups slept throught the procedure.
Abbey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2011, 10:06 AM

Why would I comment that they were fine if they screamed?? I would seriously question the vet who did the procedure if all the pups were in pain as you describe! The mums were never ever put out of the building either. I can't believe as a VN that you think amputation of the tail in an older dog is less cruel? I'm guessing you havent dealt with many tail amputations and the complications, problem and pain that the dogs go through.

So many emotive words are used by the anti docking brigade. I am saddened that someone within the veterinary profession uses stories of puppies screaming to further their own point.

Whilst there is still the difference in English and Scottish Law, we will buy from an English kennel who dock with legal papers.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Pre-ban, as a vet nurse I have held hundreds of pups whilst their tails were docked and i never did I ever hear one scream, at most a whimper, most slept through the procedure.

We have HPRs and work them - given the chance to make an educated decision I would always have docked dogs. Through work/field trials/working the dogs I have seen and dealt with many, many damaged tails over the years and these dogs suffer - many would have been spared this if they had been docked.

JMO.
well done you...not sure i actually believe you..even when dew-claws were removed some did cry,some didnt.

yip
(re not in the building,thats a tad extreme,just not in the room in our case)
Why would I comment that they were fine if they screamed?? I would seriously question the vet who did the procedure if all the pups were in pain as you describe! The mums were never ever put out of the building either. I can't believe as a VN that you think amputation of the tail in an older dog is less cruel? I'm guessing you havent dealt with many tail amputations and the complications, problem and pain that the dogs go through.

So many emotive words are used by the anti docking brigade. I am saddened that someone within the veterinary profession uses stories of puppies screaming to further their own point.

Whilst there is still the difference in English and Scottish Law, we will buy from an English kennel who dock with legal papers.
how is it crueler? under ga with analgesia chopping off something 'just in case' is cruel exp when the pup cant see,cant hear but can only feel!!

btw..not a nice card to throw re the vn comment..you are just 'pro docking'

btw ive assisted in many tail amps over 19years.
Abbey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2011, 11:12 AM
I don't hugely care whether you believe me or not. FYI I actually amnt pro-docking (however clearly you are very anti docking) - I don't believe that dogs like Yorkies, Rotties, Dobies etc should be docked, I do however, believe that working HPRs should be docked.

If you are anti-docking and these pups you held cried out in pain - were you ok with this? I personally wouldnt hold any animal for a procedure who was screaming in pain, nor would any of my colleagues...we wouldnt be expected to either.

Let's just agree to disagree however..i think we will both agree that the job of a vet nurse isnt an easy one.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 08:14 PM

So the barbaric practice of cutting off puppies tails with sharp scissors and NO anaesthetic is still done in veterinary practices?

That is absolutely disgusting, and I'm sorry, but I find it absolutely impossible to accept that a puppy will allow this to be done to it whilst remaining silent, I just do not believe that - and as for sleeping through such a procedure, sorry, don't buy that either. I just cannot believe that this practice is allowed to continue
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
So the barbaric practice of cutting off puppies tails with sharp scissors and NO anaesthetic is still done in veterinary practices?

That is absolutely disgusting, and I'm sorry, but I find it absolutely impossible to accept that a puppy will allow this to be done to it whilst remaining silent, I just do not believe that - and as for sleeping through such a procedure, sorry, don't buy that either. I just cannot believe that this practice is allowed to continue
So the barbaric practise of putting an electric collar on a poor defenseless dog still continues does it.......
I really think you have a nerve daring to comment on any aspect of animal welfare when you advocate animal cruelty by subject a poor animal to electrocution because you cant be bothered to train it properly.
As the old saying goes, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
So the barbaric practise of putting an electric collar on a poor defenseless dog still continues does it.......
I really think you have a nerve daring to comment on any aspect of animal welfare when you advocate animal cruelty by subject a poor animal to electrocution because you cant be bothered to train it properly.
As the old saying goes, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
Excuse me - I don't believe the title of this thread has the word "e-collar" in it?

We are not talking about e-collars, we are talking here about chopping parts of animal off without any anaesthetic and using a pair of scissors!!

In addition, clearly you know absolutely NOTHING about e-collars if you think they "electrocute". Having regrettably had a litter of GSP puppies mutiliated by an ignorant vet without anaesthetic, I feel I am in a far better position to comment about the cruelty of such a procedure than someone who has not.
Abbey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2011, 08:31 PM

....and I would lie about this why, exactly? I take it you would like dew claw removal banned also...as these are removed from the pup (including the 'root') at up to 3 days old with no anaesthetic.

Do you honestly think as a dog lover and someone who does the job I do that I would hold down screaming puppies and be fine with it?

I resent the implication that I am not telling the truth.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Excuse me - I don't believe the title of this thread has the word "e-collar" in it?

We are not talking about e-collars, we are talking here about chopping parts of animal off without any anaesthetic and using a pair of scissors!!

In addition, clearly you know absolutely NOTHING about e-collars if you think they "electrocute". Having regrettably had a litter of GSP puppies mutiliated by an ignorant vet without anaesthetic, I feel I am in a far better position to comment about the cruelty of such a procedure than someone who has not.
Ive seen tails docked though and I've seen dvd's off poor dogs subjected to electricution. And this wasnt a docking thread either it was about showing docked dogs.
Dont bother to reply Im not wasting my time chatting to someone who treats their anomals so appaulingly so I'm putting you on ignore
Page 9 of 16 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »