View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tania
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-12-2006, 01:37 AM
My 6 month old still nips somestimes. Mainly when I start putting my shoes and coat on for a walk! Or when we play at the park

He's 28 inches tall and 32Kg - his nipping hurts and leaves bruises.

He's got much better - but still nips at my hubby when he's sleeping. I've taught him 'leave' and 'leave it' (leave first, if not working leave it - sounds more firm). It works pretty well.

Could never use the yelping turn round thing, because he'd get more excited and nip harder on our bums and backs!

It is an unfortunate phase puppyhood for nipping, main thing is to watch out if there are kids and stuff - never leave kids on their own with him. Try and distract him if he looks about to nip. Also, with kids they may make him more excited if they are playing with him. If it's a real problem, crating is probably best and make sure the children don't wind him up, kids can be a bit rough for small pups.
nic2410
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Good question, I am reading the replies with interest, my 16 wk old jack russel x chihuahua is still biting, I have had some great advice from here but unfortunately none is working, I am just praying she will grow out of it cos that's my last and only hope!
It sounds similar to your puppy, she bites but any noise or movement from me and she just gets excited and goes to do it even more, shutting her away for a little while also doesn't seem to work, she just comes straight out and does it again, it seems that the only time she is not biting is when she is asleep!
Good luck with your puppy, I hope you solve it!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-12-2006, 12:40 AM
Originally Posted by nic2410 View Post
Good question, I am reading the replies with interest, my 16 wk old jack russel x chihuahua is still biting, I have had some great advice from here but unfortunately none is working, I am just praying she will grow out of it cos that's my last and only hope!
It sounds similar to your puppy, she bites but any noise or movement from me and she just gets excited and goes to do it even more, shutting her away for a little while also doesn't seem to work, she just comes straight out and does it again, it seems that the only time she is not biting is when she is asleep!
Good luck with your puppy, I hope you solve it!
Hi Nic to me shutting a puppy away is pointless, it will learn nothing from doing this. In the time it takes you to walk to another room with the puppy it will have forgotten it's actions.
Bite inhibition doesn't work straight away it take time and patience and works eventually.
For the moment if the puppy bites when playing I would stop the game instantly, game over, stand up/ fold you arms and turn you back on the puppy no word no eye contact until it is calm, as soon as it is calm praise the good behaviour. You need to be consistent and everyone in the house needs to adopt the same approach.

Once the behaviour is calm you can move on to teaching bite inhibition.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2