View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jade the sbt
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-05-2011, 08:25 PM
on the upside my Jade was running around off leash in the park the other day when this kid around 10/11 came up to me and asked very politely if he could stroke her, when i called her over and had her sit he was delighted... its not all doom and gloom. =]
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by jade the sbt View Post
on the upside my Jade was running around off leash in the park the other day when this kid around 10/11 came up to me and asked very politely if he could stroke her, when i called her over and had her sit he was delighted... its not all doom and gloom. =]
No, there are some very well behaved children and parents out there..............
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Respect is missing from children these days. I wasn't allowed near a dog without asking the owner first - I still do it to this day, in fact I saw a Mal in a town place near where Adie's barracks are and I asked if I could stroke it (they're really huge!) and I got a yes and I fussed it, made a lovely comment on how gorgeous he was and walked off.

Children around the in laws area, just run up to Benjie and Louie and Lou has started backing up and woofing at them - I know he won't bite them, but it doesn't help when they're just running after him. I try and tell them that if they stand still and hold their hand out for him to sniff - if he wants a fuss he will come close - if not, please don't stroke him, he wants to be left alone. Do they listen? NO! So now I have a dog that is fearful of strange people thanks to some inconsiderate kids who have not been taught to listen or respect people and animals. And once they know his name - jeez! they follow him round shouting his name and chasing him thinking it's all a game - I swear I'd rather face a DA dog with Louie than children! And that brings up Benjie - not good with many people or dogs - so why do children believe that despite me saying he isn't good and might bite them if they try and stroke him - they stroke him anyway!

Sorry had to have a rant. I have left Sadie outside a shop many a time (we've had the thread though) but thing shave changed in the last 8 years since I started walking her. No one can be trusted really.
To be fair its not the kids its the parents, they have failed to each the kids how to behave around dogs. My boys have always been told to ask before they touch. The child in this case was 5 so of course wouldn't have a clue about safety around dogs unless the parent tells it. Its the parents fault not the kids !!!!

Apart from that the dog shouldn't have been tied up outside the shop anyway
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Where I shop quite a few people tie their dogs outside I was chatting to a few this morning, many are elderly and the idea of two walks a day (one to the shop and one for the dog) would near kill them, others have taken their dogs everywhere with them since they were children and it's habit they don't want to change.
It's a friendly little complex with dogs tied to the railings all getting on well, children playing on the slide and climbing frame and people sat around the benches.

Would be sad to see the dogs disappear from the scene really. Perhaps we should be aiming for this sort of scene rather than getting mad at people who want to take their dogs to the shops ?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 06:40 PM
I do not get mad at people who take their dogs to the shops, if the benefits outweigh the risks then it is up to them. I think it does not occur to some people, especially older generation, that others would DREAM of doing the things they do ie steal, torture, tease, attack dogs.

It is none of my business what people do with their dogs, unless of course those actions impact on the safety of myself or my dogs.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 06:55 PM
I would NOT leave my dog tied up outside a shop where the general public can get at it. Way too many things could happen for my liking. It's a shame it's come to this though, we SHOULD be able to leave our dogs outside a shop for a few minutes and know they're not going to be attacked, tormented, stolen or whatever. These days I wouldn't leave a bike chained up outside a shop never mind a living, feeling creature.

I've never understood why people take their dog shopping though. I mean, it's one thing to nip into the shop for a packet of cigarettes or a bottle of coke or a paper, it's another to leave your dog tied up outside the shop for the best part of an hour while you do your weekly shopping!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I would NOT leave my dog tied up outside a shop where the general public can get at it. Way too many things could happen for my liking. It's a shame it's come to this though, we SHOULD be able to leave our dogs outside a shop for a few minutes and know they're not going to be attacked, tormented, stolen or whatever. These days I wouldn't leave a bike chained up outside a shop never mind a living, feeling creature.

I've never understood why people take their dog shopping though. I mean, it's one thing to nip into the shop for a packet of cigarettes or a bottle of coke or a paper, it's another to leave your dog tied up outside the shop for the best part of an hour while you do your weekly shopping!
Excellent post Sarah.

There were two threads on here about the man whose ? 17 year old collie was stolen from outside the supermarket, dragged through the town and hurled off a bridge, one thread when it happened and one when the freak that did it was convicted. I remember that the dogs owner was quite elderly, 80 ish and had done it for years, sadly we live in a world where people don't care as much and we owe it to our dogs to protect them.

Sometimes people torment the dog without realising they are distressing it, as is the case with the child in this thread, sometimes it is deliberate. They could escape or be stolen or just not be noticed and hurt. A while back I came out of my local shop, looking ahead, out of the corner of my eye I saw something by my feet, it was a tiny little Chi waiting for someone. That was my local shop with baskets only. If I had come out pushing a trolley, it would have obscured my view of the dog and I would have badly injured it.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 07:41 PM
There were two threads on here about the man whose ? 17 year old collie was stolen from outside the supermarket, dragged through the town and hurled off a bridge
Wow, I must have missed these threads. It's this sort of thing that convinces me that 2 trips are worth it even in terrible weather. Poor dog and its poor owner

I've come to the conclusion that a lot of humans are evil creatures that my dog needs protection from to be honest. When you hear about young children using a puppy as a football, people cutting a dogs ears off and dumping it in the street and experience people hitting your dog for apparently looking at them and idiots who torment your dog because it wears a muzzle it really does make you think people simply aren't to be trusted.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Wow, I must have missed these threads. It's this sort of thing that convinces me that 2 trips are worth it even in terrible weather. Poor dog and its poor owner
I'm trying to see if I can find them, I can't remember how long ago it was though, I'll have a look.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 07:50 PM
I'm still looking for the threads. This is the news report though:

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.u...aling_pet_dog/

such a waste of a beautiful dog...
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >