Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Your obviously not so chuffed at my opinion but you did ask for it
Here is the issue simplified.
Your grandad has no problem with this. They have no problem with this. YOU have a problem with this.

Did they specifically say he must be walked even if it is raining? Did your grandad say this? Is your grandad capable of changing his mind (and expressing this) when it gets too much?

YOU would not ask someone of this age (neither would I) BUT they have and he agreed. Show HIM some respect for his decision that he made as a grown man - he's been round the block more times than you btw

I understand that you have his welfare in mind but simply approaching from the 'I dont think they should ask...I say they should walk their own dog....I say get a dog walker...' isnt going to help IMHO.

Like I said, try to calm down, think of this objectively and then approach the subject with him...IMHO
Regardless of how many times he has been round the block, that's got nothing to do with the situation, I feel he is being taken advantage of and I feel they are not fulfilling the needs of their dog properly, such as taking turns in walking him round the block for 20-30 minutes in the mornings.

Sacrifices often have to be made when owning dogs, especially when working full time and getting your a*se out of bed a bit earlier in the mornings in one of them (although I don't see it is a sacrifice, but rather taking responsiblity for my dogs that I chose to own).

As I said, I wouldn't even ask my other grandfather to walk my dogs on a regular basis - and I would make sure my dogs got walked in the morning for their business, which I do and I start work early and work FT.

Yes, he has to specifically walk him as he won't poo in the garden. I did mention that fact. Wouldn't have been so bad if it was jus a pee in the garden, but it isn't.

Thanks for your input though, interesting to hear of others opinions.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 09:02 PM
I can see why you are angry but I guess at the end of the day it is up to him

I do agree tho it is rubbish that they cant be bothered to give their dog the morning poo walk - get up 20 min early in the morning - its what all good dog owners have to do
Then your grandad could have the option for just a play in the garden or if he feels like it a walk
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I can see why you are angry but I guess at the end of the day it is up to him

I do agree tho it is rubbish that they cant be bothered to give their dog the morning poo walk - get up 20 min early in the morning - its what all good dog owners have to do
Then your grandad could have the option for just a play in the garden or if he feels like it a walk
Yes, I agree with that really. It is up to him but they should be taking their own dog out for short poo walk in the morning. Beggars belief, actually!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Regardless of how many times he has been round the block, that's got nothing to do with the situation,maybe not from your pov I feel he is being taken advantage of and I feel they are not fulfilling the needs of their dog properly, such as taking turns in walking him round the block for 20-30 minutes in the mornings.
perhaps its not about how you feel but how he feels?
Sacrifices often have to be made when owning dogs, especially when working full time and getting your a*se out of bed a bit earlier in the mornings in one of them (although I don't see it is a sacrifice, but rather taking responsiblity for my dogs that I chose to own).
and perhaps your grandad realises stuff youve not leanred?
As I said, I wouldn't even ask my other grandfather to walk my dogs on a regular basis -but you would ask him and I would make sure my dogs got walked in the morning for their business, which I do and I start work early and work FT.

Yes, he has to specifically walk him as he won't poo in the garden.but did they say he still must do this in the pouring rain? and did he agree to do this forever more and in the pouring rain? I did mention that fact. Wouldn't have been so bad if it was jus a pee in the garden, but it isn't.
but surely your grandad only has to say to them he isnt doing it anymore if he is suffering for this?
Thanks for your input though, interesting to hear of others opinions.
No probs, just think you need to think of things from your grandfathers pov a little maybe and approach him that way.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
No probs, just think you need to think of things from your grandfathers pov a little maybe and approach him that way.
No, I wouldn't ask my other granda as I've just said. On the odd occasion, yes, but not several times a week, no!

I'm not talking about him 'realising stuff I have not learnt', I'm talking about the situation in question, that's all.

I am thinking about him - and the dog! That's my point!

She has asked him to walk the dog - not let him out for a pee. So yes, walk the dog.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Although you're up here and we get plenty of rain, older people aren't the wimps that the younger generation are. They walked to school and to work in the rain and normally rain doesn't bother them. He is probably feeling great that he was asked and feels needed again. Older people do. My dad complains because no one asks him to do jobs for them anymore and he feels useless.

As it's only a small dog he'll not have much bother with it and it will give him a reason to get out and have a walk. I know you are worried about his arthritis but walking will help instead of letting the joints seize up and at his age he'll be determined to keep going.

The neighbour might not have offered to pay him in case he was insulted as quite often the older generation do see it as an insult. Your grandfather might not even have thought of being paid but see it as a neighbourly thing to do. A small dog won't need much walking surely and if he's happy to do it I don't think you should be raining on his parade so to speak.

If he's a poor old soul, not capable of thinking or speaking for himself, then fair enough, but as he's perfectly capable I personally think you should butt out. Older people have their pride and you telling him he's not capable and shouldn't be doing it is an insult to him in my opinion and undermining his capabilities.

As this is between him and his neighbour I don't think it would be right at all for you to go storming over to her house berating her for asking your grandad to do this. If he decides it's not for him after a while I'm sure he will be capable of telling her this.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 10:26 PM
I think H got it right in her first post.

I see this as nothing more than a nice opportunity for a retired old man to feel needed and do something good.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2011, 05:41 AM
Originally Posted by 1cutedog View Post
Although you're up here and we get plenty of rain, older people aren't the wimps that the younger generation are. They walked to school and to work in the rain and normally rain doesn't bother them. He is probably feeling great that he was asked and feels needed again. Older people do. My dad complains because no one asks him to do jobs for them anymore and he feels useless.

As it's only a small dog he'll not have much bother with it and it will give him a reason to get out and have a walk. I know you are worried about his arthritis but walking will help instead of letting the joints seize up and at his age he'll be determined to keep going.

The neighbour might not have offered to pay him in case he was insulted as quite often the older generation do see it as an insult. Your grandfather might not even have thought of being paid but see it as a neighbourly thing to do. A small dog won't need much walking surely and if he's happy to do it I don't think you should be raining on his parade so to speak.

If he's a poor old soul, not capable of thinking or speaking for himself, then fair enough, but as he's perfectly capable I personally think you should butt out. Older people have their pride and you telling him he's not capable and shouldn't be doing it is an insult to him in my opinion and undermining his capabilities.

As this is between him and his neighbour I don't think it would be right at all for you to go storming over to her house berating her for asking your grandad to do this. If he decides it's not for him after a while I'm sure he will be capable of telling her this.
I understand that - but he's still a 76 year old arthritic man who is in remission from cancer.

I have not told him he in incapable or anything like that, but I have made my feelings quite clear.

And I said nothing about 'storming over to her house' at all, don't know where you got that from. I'll likely meet her on a walk at somepoint and will bring the subject up then.

"feeling needed again", what, so he didn't think he felt needed before she asked him to walk her dog?! I don't think so.

I'm not the shy and retiring type when it comes to things like this, especially when I feel my own grandfather is being taken advantage of.

I want to know what she intends to do in the winter months. It might be a few months away yet, but plans have to be put in place.

He has things to be getting on with, but that doesn't change the fact he is an old man and they are too lazy to get up and take their dog for the toilet.

Even a pee in the garden wouldn't have been as bad, especially in the bad weather, but he how committed to walking this dog in all weathers which is not right.

Thanks for your thoughts though.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2011, 06:38 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Ask yourself this Nicola, would you feel the same had the local paper shop offered him a little 3 mornings a walk doing a 20 minute paper round??? Is it the dog thing that's the issue here? Perhaps deep down you may think your dogs are going to suffer maybe, with him being too tired to take them out if you want/need him to perhaps?? I'm sure he'd put your dogs first though, so no worries there!

Maybe what's really got up your nose is the total laziness of the whole family, BUT, she could have her reasons for asking him, why don't you ask her yourself? Maybe you will if I know you lol! I know I would if I felt the way you do about this! You never know, this could all have started as a little chat between the pair of them, and your grand dad might have actually offered his help and she jumped at it??
I agree with H on this one.

Im sure your grandad is like alot of elderly people and maybe he wants to do this to keep him active.
Even if he has ailments of joints etc he won't want to give in just yet

and you know what if it does get too much for him Im sure he will tell them himself.

I think you need to allow people to make thier own minds up when it comes to stuff, Im sure once he starts it he may will feel several times a week is too much and he will suggest a better routine to the owners.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2011, 06:42 AM
Nope, i totally agree with you 100%, why on earth she can't take the dog out herself in the morning before work for a decent walk is beyond me. It's nice that your grandad enjoys walking the dog, but like you say, not as such a commitment but it should only be when he wants to. I bet he's a lovely bloke that wouldn't say no, and she knows it .

I wouldn never ask my neighbour to walk my dogs! She occasionally lets them in the garden for me, when we're both on a long day (unusual) and I know she loves to see them but I still believe she wouldn't love to have to walk them everyday!

I hate asking for help, even when I need it! So many people are take, take, take these days. I wouldn't even ask my own parents to babysit my own child on a regular basis (a reeeeeal bug bear of mine!!!).

What a cheeky, lazy woman/family! I'm really glad they're not neighbours of mine!
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »