Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 01:06 PM
I really don't know where I stand on this. I totally agree with:

IMO as long as the dog is healthy and getting all the required nutrients ect I would'nt have a problem with it.
but then I also agree that they are meat eaters. I am really sat on the fence on this one.

Helen
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Dogs are actually omnivores, so are designed to eat meat and vegetable matter ... but I definitely see what you are saying I think it is rather unfair and selfish of a veggie owner to make their dog a veggie too.
Nope, def carnivores.
Check out this link with references to back it up.
http://rawfed.com/myths/omnivores.html
fran
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-08-2007, 01:14 PM
What about the dog's actual enjoyment of its food too? I love seeing my dogs really enjoying their meals.

me too, Tuscan is such a foodie

Kal (friends dog) seems to enjoy his food, guess she's doing what she thinks is best for her dog.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 01:16 PM
I really don't know where I stand on this. I totally agree with:

Quote:
IMO as long as the dog is healthy and getting all the required nutrients ect I would'nt have a problem with it.
but then I also agree that they are meat eaters. I am really sat on the fence on this one.

Helen
A meat eater by it's very definition cannot obtain the required nutrients from a non meat diet. I think it's most unfair, if not cruel on the animal to subject it to such an incorrect diet.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
Nope, def carnivores.
Check out this link with references to back it up.
http://rawfed.com/myths/omnivores.html
Thanks for the linke Evie - makes interesting reading.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the linke Evie - makes interesting reading.
No problem.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Just for information.
A litter of Golden Retreivers my aunt had many years ago. Two of them had allergies where they couldn't eat meat at all. They were fed on veggie stuff and both led a normal healthy life and attained an age typical to the breed. Can't say much more as we are talking over 20 years ago, however I'm sure there are situations today with allergies etc, where there are dogs that eat a totally veggie diet and remain healthy. You could actually say thinking about it that one of my dogs is mainly vegetarian as she has kibble and vegetables to keep her weight down, she has very little meat. Not quite the same thing but I think in this day and age it is possible with supplements and a well balanced diet for a dog to be quite happy on a veggie diet.
Would I force my dog on veggies because I was one. No I wouldn't, I was a veggie for nearly 10 years but the dog still got meat in it's meal. What I choose for myself I don't enforce on others especially my dogs.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Interesting thread - I do feel there is a vast difference in feeding a dog a meat free diet because their body is intolerant and feeding a dog a meat free diet because you are forcing your own beliefs onto your dog. The latter I certainly don't agree with.
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Me and the OH are Vegans but have fed all our cats and dogs on meat...it's what they appear to love...having said that, if any of our animals developed allergies to meat and we were advised by a vet to change to an all veggie diet then that would be fine to.
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-08-2007, 04:37 PM
I know of very fit and healthy dogs who are fed vegetarian diet. The owner goes to great lengths to educate herself on the subject, and does a great job.
Cats on the other hand, would die being fed a veggie diet, as there is something in the meat (can't remember what, a certain protein I think) that they cannot survive without. :smt001
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >