Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
So how do you teach trust.

Can I have an actual approach instead of pretty (but pointless) chat about time and letting the dog come round and the right attitude/atmosphere ect.

Btw I personnaly consider leaving a dog in a none trusting fearful state for weeks/months pretty hard.

Adam
You don't teach trust you bloody well earn it! Using a thing called TLC!
God forbid you have children!

Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 10:24 PM

Can I have an actual approach instead of pretty (but pointless) chat about time and letting the dog come round and the right attitude/atmosphere ect.

Btw I personnaly consider leaving a dog in a none trusting fearful state for weeks/months pretty hard.

Adam
Personally - I use training to Earn trust, I make it fun, I make it pleasant..... and it comes in time.
Through basic training, feeding, grooming, walking, life.
I do a join up as well....with a clicker....teaching the dog how nice it is to be around people......not how uncomfortable it is to be away from them!

Forced compliance - is different IMO.

An Edit -
With the feral dog - I did manage to force him to interact with people. SO I do know the difference.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
I get TONS of static shocks & they are very unpleasent indeed.& will go to great lengths to avoid geting them.
I do too Mish, in fact I was getting them all through the Christmas and New Year period, I think due to the footwear I had on. Every time I touched something I got a shock, sometimes I could even see them. I had shocks leaping from my fingers to my dog (and YES he noticed them), also to my mother (and she noticed them and hated them too, it was just as much a shock for her).

I changed footwear eventually, it was just too uncomfortable and too random to put up with getting up to 20 unexpected shocks a day.

They weren't painful, I'll give you that, but the randomness of it, plus the fact is IS a shock and it DOES make me jump, made me on edge all the time.

I could ditch the slippers but a dog can't ditch its collar and has less understanding of it than me, so it's far more random and unexpected for them. i would hate to be a dog wondering when the next shock is going to happen all the time.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-01-2011, 10:25 PM
That hasn't been demonstrated to me at all!

Btw can I ask all antis how much e collar training they have seen?

Adam
Enough to form an opinion it is an unnecessary and cruel form of training. I have also seen the results of training including the video you posted of your own what appeared to many here to be confused and fearful little dog.

I don't agree with physically punishing dogs for exhibiting behaviour humans consider to be unacceptable, there are more appropriate less harmful ways to train or manage canine behaviour as discussed at length in previous threads .
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 10:25 PM

Adam
says it all doesn't it...trust inst taught Adam.its earned.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Personally - I use training, I make it fun, I make it pleasant..... and it comes in time.
Through basic training, feeding, grooming, walking, life.

Forced compliance - is different IMO.
So time, weeks/months, all that time in a none trusting state! How nice.

I use training too!

In fact everyone uses training even if they never train, training is just learning and dogs learn all the time.

Adam
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
says it all doesn't it...trust inst taught Adam.its earned.
No I want info not pretty words.

Earn it doesn't mean anything to the person who's rescue tries to bolt evertime it sees anyone, includung them.

Adam
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 10:28 PM
I use training too!
And Cesar Millan is going to be the next Pope.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 10:29 PM
LEARN: its a pity you cant seem to learn. or even see. Tragic for those dogs.

Do you really think you are right & we are ALL wrong.

What a ego u must have
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 10:29 PM

I use training too!

In fact everyone uses training even if they never train, training is just learning and dogs learn all the time.

Adam
Yep - you are right...better to shock the dog into compliance.

You could force me to deal with Spiders by giving me a shock every time I stepped away from one....I would quickly learn that being near the spider stopped the shock...it DOES NOT teach me not to be frightened of the spider.
Just teaches me to be more frightened of other things - and not show you how scared I am of the spider!
Closed Thread
Page 14 of 206 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 64 114 > Last »