Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Buster & Bella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-08-2006, 12:01 PM

Parvo warning for dog owners in Cardiff/Wales

Taken from South Wales Echo:

Dog owners are being warned to look out for signs of a deadly virus following an outbreak in Cardiff.
City vets have seen a sharp increase in the number of suspected cases of canine parvovirus - known as parvo.
Parvo is a highly infectious virus that can cause severe vomiting, diarrhoea, and death if left untreated.
At Cardiff's PDSA PetAid Hospital vets have already treated 82 cases this summer - on some days up to 10 cases - and many more than normal.
Head nurse Helen Crofts said: 'There has been a serious outbreak here in Cardiff. We wouldn't normally see so many cases but it can be quite common in hot weather. We've seen some very poorly dogs.'
Vets normally begin to see cases in May and the numbers peak in July, August and September.

The last serious outbreak in Cardiff was in 2003 when 80 dogs contracted the virus between June and September, of which 35 proved fatal.

But the PDSA in Bute Street has already seen more cases this year, and Helen urged owners to get their dogs vaccinated.

'We've been very lucky this year because we've only seen five deaths,' she said.

'But the most worrying thing is that we're seeing older dogs which is very rare.

'It is important that owners vaccinate their dogs no matter what age the dog is.'

Vet nurse Steph- anie Phillips, of Pethertons Veterinary Surgery in Rumney, Cardiff, which has seen 15 cases of the virus in the past few weeks, said: 'It's very contagious and will affect dogs that aren't vaccinated. Puppies and older dogs are particularly at risk.

'Contact your vet about vaccinating against it straight away.'

For further information contact the PDSA on 0800 917 2509 or see www.pdsa.org.uk
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2006, 12:11 PM
wow what a worry im glad ive got my two vaccinated against it thanks for putting this up buster
Buster & Bella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-08-2006, 12:16 PM
no problem blumerle!

but i have a confession - i am a terrible owner!

I truly thought Buster had his booster but I am wrong and i feel terrible!

when we moved we changed vets and i just phoned them both to double check that he had his done and they have no record! oh my god! he is 2 in November!

I cannot belive I forgot I am so worried now and u know the worst thing, the surgery in the echo where they have seen 15 cases is Busters surgery! I have an appointment on Friday now to get him done but OH and I have agreed he is not to be walked where we live as it is rife in our area!

I am an awful person! Im so sorry Buster!
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2006, 12:21 PM
aww you shouldnt go blaming yourself its just one of those things that happen your not a bad mum at all,with the move it just dosent register you just dont think of these things aww at least you got him booked in for friday to have it done and its a good idea not to walk him cos its rife where you are,aww big hugs to you both
Buster & Bella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-08-2006, 12:28 PM
thanks hun u made me feel better tho i dont deserve it. xxx
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2006, 12:31 PM
aww you do you shouldnt feel bad over this its just one of these things that happen at least you have taken full action to get him done and thats the main thing hope he will be alright with the injection on friday
Buster & Bella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-08-2006, 12:33 PM
aww thanks hun that's lovely of you i do feel a bit better now. i just thought i was a better owner thatn that you know. i love my boy!

thanks hun hope all is well with you. x
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2006, 12:37 PM
yeh everything is fine with and the boys,aww you are an excellent owner and dont go thinking your not so stop thinking you aint cos you are,you had alot on your mind what with the move and getting our dogs boosted dosent enter our minds but hes going to be alright you have made sure of that
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Parvo is becoming rife again everywhere sadly...
Buster & Bella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-08-2006, 07:11 AM
oh my god i am in a state of panic!

OH was not very happy that I missed Buster's booster!

Buster got me and OH up twice early hours this morning to go outside and he has the diareahha (sorry cant spell it)! OH said he was also sick yesterday!

But last night he was fine in himself! starting to panic now, should I be worried that he may have parvo?

sometimes he is sick as he has got a very sensitive belly and he did have a lamb bone on monday night?!

please advise me. xxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >