View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 06:48 AM
Moll got tangled in some fishing wire after 15mins of watching her struggle to get free, Nev went in, was no other option, this was a lake though
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 07:59 AM
We have two very strong swimmers here so I daresay they would manage, but I can say Patrick jumped in once when Bruce fell in the canal and suddenly seemed to sink, mind you once he had got over his fear he reached the side before Pat
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 09:47 AM
I would hope to heaven that I am never in that position, but I know I would have to stop myself from going in. It's sadly a fairly recurrant thing here on the south coast you hear of dogs being swept out on the river or falling off boats, the owner jumps in, unfortunately doesn't survive and you hear of the dog turning up on a beach somewhere further along.

Mine both swim and are good swimmers, but they are rarely out swimming on powerful rivers or on the beach. We stick to the lakes and streams on the forest.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 10:03 AM
I guess because I don't swim I take precautions should mine ever fall in - they both have harnesses and they walk on long leads/lines so if either disappear into the water I can haul them out. I would like to say I would jump in but I know I can't swim and would need rescuing myself so the answer has to be no I wouldn't.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 09:18 PM
i would wait and give him a chance to try to get out himself, but he was struggling too much i would jump in... it would kill me to stand and watch him drown, so i would have to.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 09:32 PM
I would have to try and get him out if he couldn't manage, wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I didn't and he drowned so I'd go in.
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Ted only really likes to paddle so hopefully i will never be in that position but i would probably not go in unless i thought i would be able to get out safely. But i suppose you don't know for sure until your in that position.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2010, 02:56 AM
She's a pretty strong swimmer, but I'm not going to stand by and watch her drown either. I guess it depends on the circumstances. If she was in trouble, though, I'd be in the water in a second.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Diesel's a good swimmer, as this pic shows (he's the lighter coloured dot nearer the stretch of land).

But the other day he needed helping out of a river because him and a spaniel jumped in, but couldn't get out because of the weather, so someone else (spaniels owner) went down to get them (Diesel would be alright with anyone grabbing him out the river aslong as I'm there, not sure if I wasn't tbh, but the spaniel wouldn't be ok with me grabbing her), tbh I've fell through ice trying to get a heron, if one of my dogs were in trouble I think that I would more then likely jump in to save them.
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-11-2010, 11:28 AM
I don't think I would and I have my children warned NEVER to do so (even though I'm always with them on walks). As much as I love and adore my dog I wouldn't take the risk of drowning.

When I was younger my spaniel ran onto a frozen canal chasing ducks and fell through the ice- my uncle who was with us at the time walked out onto the ice to rescue her- all the time my aunt screaming at him to leave her. He should have left her, she'd probably have managed to get out herself eventually but had he fallen in things could have been a lot worse and I often think about that.

Every year you hear of people dying trying to save their dog- the risk is just to great.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >