Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 10:04 AM

Reported someone to the RSPCA

Yesterday I had to report one of my customers (now ex-customer!!!) to the RSPCA because of the state of their cat. Luckily I had my camera to hand to document the whole thing. I won't be posting any pics though, they are too horrible. Needless to say I've seen some awful things but that was a whole new thing for me. Usually cats are very matted when they come in, which is why they come. I'm used to dematting, it's a daily part of my job, and I have an assistant to help with cats. What we found yesterday though was very disturbing. It was covered in faeces even on it's paws and face, which I've never seen before. The reason she hadn't cleaned her face was that her nail beds were so infected that her claws couldn't retract. The claws had grown round into her pads and some were embedded almost 1cm deep. Her dewclaws were only held on by matted fur. We managed to shave her off completely, bath her and clip her nails and remove the embedded nails. I advised the owner to get her seen by a vet, but have reported her just to hopefully make sure that happens.

I'm just hoping there are no repercussions for me next week after her surprise visit.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 10:14 AM
That sounds awful & so sad, poor cat. How could anyone let an animal get like that. Smell must have been pretty over powering. Im sure you felt like keeping it & not giving it back. Did the owner give any reason why it was so bad?
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Omg!! That poor cat people make me so sick sometimes and there is no excuse for that... Glad you reported it to the RSPCA... just hope they do something!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
That sounds awful & so sad, poor cat. How could anyone let an animal get like that. Smell must have been pretty over powering. Im sure you felt like keeping it & not giving it back. Did the owner give any reason why it was so bad?
Oh yes the reason was....she's twelve.

My colleague's cat is also twelve and in fine condition. TBH I doubt she knew about the paws. You couldn't see it before we cut the mats away.
susieq
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Dont hold out too much hope on the RSPCA doing anything, not unless you can get a TV crew out with them !!!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by susieq View Post
Dont hold out too much hope on the RSPCA doing anything, not unless you can get a TV crew out with them !!!
I understand your point, but I have contacts! They will get their visit.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 10:32 AM
that's dreadful - poor cat My long haired cat is constantly getting matted & I can't find anywhere around here that does cats so I have to do it myself with clippers. It's hard work & she does look bedraggled at times where I cut clumps out, but I certainly wouldn't leave her to get in a state. When we first got her she had to be anaesthetised to remove her matted coat by the vet.
I wish we had someone like you nearby who did cats!!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 10:46 AM
poor cat
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Poor cat. I've had two longhaired cats and they are a nightmare, wish people would realise that before having them.
Stella a persian was always haviing to be shaved off I took her on as an old cat and we had her 5 years before she passed over

Monty was easier as I had him from a kitten but he needed grooming twice a day

Well done to you for caring xxxxxxxxxxx
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Good for you. Poor cat how can anyone let thier animal suffer like that. It just beggars belief.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >