Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Boxer Boy View Post
I knew of dogs being crated all day while owners were working, it still sends shudders down my spine.
That sentence appalled me - the very thought of dogs being crated ALL day is inhumane. Why the hell buy a dog only to torture it in self-confinement - they must be driven insane. This is cruelty whether intentional or not.

As for amount of time one should spend with their dogs, I think it's almost impossible to say an 'ideal' time. I am very fortunate to only work 17.5hrs a week and Sid works from home. Marius is extremely lucky to have company pretty much 24-7.

We ensure he gets plenty of exercise - long walks, the occasional jog with Sid, playtime and obedience training time so his mind as well as body is worked.

However, we have also owned dogs when both of us worked full-time. No, it wasn't our ideal scenario, but we both strived to make our dogs lives as pleasant as possible. I got up every morning with them for a good walk before work, they had free run of the large double-garage and outside run (we lived in a larger house at the time). Whoever got home first (me usually!) then walked them again in the evening.

I know of some dogs whose owners are at home with them who simply do not make the effort to exercise their dogs anywhere near that amount. Nor do they seem to do any training!

So, I guess it depends on balance it isn't so much the amount of time you are at home, but the quality of that time you give to your dog when you are.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2009, 01:18 PM
I work mornings only and am home by lunch time but I do not consider myself a "part time" dog owner, I'm not with my daughter 24/7 but that doesnt make me a part time mum IMO

I think it is good for them to learn to cope with being alone as you never know when you might have to leave them and if they are not used to it, it could cause problems.

I know plenty of people with dogs that work full time and they are all well behaved, balanced happy dogs.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2009, 01:28 PM
My dogs come to work with me (and are still rubbish) and are with me pretty much all the time.

They are left at night to sleep downstairs and they are quite happily left at home whilst I go out if I need to (although I don't tend to due to illness).

I do find that we need our time apart though, my old boy will go and sit by himself in the kitchen of an evening when he gets tired and if we have people over and we're up later than the dogs are used to and are in the kitchen, they give a little grumble under their breath or a heavy sigh It's almost as though to say 'look - I'm trying to sleep, will you get out of my bedroom now?'

I have no problem with people owning dogs and working - as long as those dogs are well cared for when the owner is around and if they are to be left for more than 6 hours (or in some cases, less) then someone drops into see them and walk them etc.

Let's face it, yes I'm with my dogs from 7am to 10pm every single day and they're with me now, under my counter at work but what are they doing?? They're sleeping!

I also take opportunities to leave them on their own to ensure they're ok with being left and aren't going to get stressed. I speak to a lot of people who can't leave their dogs at all because they're always with them and the dogs get stressed when left because they're not used to it.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by k9xxb View Post
Well i work full-time and i think i have a well balanced dog. I think anyone who knows me wouldn't think there was anything wrong with the bond we have.

I don't have a social life that doesn't involve dogs though so time off is quality time even if just watching tv together

If i didn't work, i couldn't afford to live let alone have a dog i'm sure that doesn't make me or others bad owners.
No, it doesn't and you shouldn't let anyone tell you otherwise!!!

Originally Posted by Vodka Vixen View Post
I work mornings only and am home by lunch time but I do not consider myself a "part time" dog owner, I'm not with my daughter 24/7 but that doesnt make me a part time mum IMO

I think it is good for them to learn to cope with being alone as you never know when you might have to leave them and if they are not used to it, it could cause problems.

I know plenty of people with dogs that work full time and they are all well behaved, balanced happy dogs.
Agree with your post entirely!
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2009, 05:52 PM
i work upto 7 hours per day - break and then out to uni... but they spend no more than 4 hours alone -as me and my mum split our shifts up.... to fit in with the dogs
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Personally I dont think full time work and owning dogs is the best option,

BUT I do realise that if it where only those who dont work own dogs we would have an awful lot of dogs in rescue.

And to be honest I dont think its the amount of time you spend with a dog its the quality time you give it.

There are as many happy contented dogs belonging to owners who work full time as there are being owned by at homes owners.

What matters is that that dog is loved /fed. and mentally as well as physically exercised.

Whoever ownes it
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4