View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2006, 07:53 PM
Fab place to walk. Is it me, or did that statue have a "pointy" willy?
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2006, 08:15 AM
Hee-hee! Yes, and they're suposed to be based on the artist himself...

Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2006, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by duboing
Hee-hee! Yes, and they're suposed to be based on the artist himself...

I'm glad Vicki asked the question ...I was wondering
englishlynn
New Member!
Female 

20-05-2007, 06:19 PM
I live on hall rd , crosby beach is the best ever along with my wonderfull liverpool,and our iron men are just gr8 we love them , fab place to live.
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Been there! Here's the proof -

Those men didn't half make us laugh, thought htey were hilarious. Read in the paper a while ago that they were being moved, glad to see that they've stayed put.
andylpool
New Member!
Male 

03-09-2007, 01:07 PM
We always take our dog to Crosby beach. Only live 10 mins away.
Loads of space
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

03-09-2007, 02:28 PM
Never been there but I'd say Crosby is about 40mins???? from Warrington (where I used to live) so next time I'm 'back home' I might suggest going with my sister (Fudgeley) as all our dogs love the beach!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Looks a nice place, I have always liked the statues and have the council saw sense and allowing them to stay?
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Yep, apparently they're staying for good now.
Andrew42
New Member!
Male 

02-01-2008, 02:21 AM
Just wanted to say thanks for your posting duboing - found this surfing Google after seeing the crosby beach statues for the first time on TV tonight (Coast).
Your pictures bring back warm memories having spent summer holidays at Crosby sands as a child, staying with my dear grandparents living on Sudbury Road, now long deceased. I'm going back 35 years.

The sands made a great playground and I do recall them being soft underfoot, and plenty of 'trophy' to be found washed in with each tide. I stayed just south of the Baths which were a large square building back then (I see on Google Earth they are all modern now). Busy shipping lane, always something to see passing.

What a great space to live local to! I have nothing like this where I live. Maybe I can dig out an old photo of the sands back then.

I'm amazed to read your text of banned bathing on the sands. My grandmother would swim every morning here and had done all her life at Sudbury, even during the ice of winter. She said the baths were not real swimming and I'd join her many mornings amongst our friends the jelly fish (and even a little wash back from the open sewer!) Blimey, memories. And it was all good.

I'm guessing the sea defence wall and prom walk was relatively new when I was a boy. I recall the field area between Holden Road/Westward View and the beach was flat green grass back then. I'd walk across flat green to the promenade defense wall. But when last visiting, fifteen years ago, I found sand dunes had reclaimed that area, the flat green field gone, nature moving back.

I can well believe Flipper's tale about the 7 year old girl stuck in quick-sand around the sewer pipe. Being a little misbehaved I remember running along that pipe as a young boy (much to my grandfathers torment calling me back in vain) and I fully understood that should I fall into the discoloured sludge surrounding the pipe then I might never surface. A lot of raw sewerage ran down that pipe back then and left a scarey looking deep substance surrounding the entire length of the pipe.

Out in the sands a VW Beetle roof was just visible at low tide, a daring drive that fell victim to the incoming tide. I remember it was visible for a few years, and a boat mast too at low tide.

Anyway - your posting and photos brought back some good memories so I thought I should write - thanks. People living around this spot are lucky - what a great back yard. I can only wonder what my Nan would have made of all the naked statues as her bathing partners! I must revisit, if only to see these amazing statues for real.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >