View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2008, 01:54 PM

Any ideas for kids lunchboxes???PLEASE!!

My daughter is only 5 and a half.

She likes school but she is a worrier.....cos of this she wont eat hardly any breakfast.

She also wont eat much lunch at school, Firstly she is fussy and secondly I think the teachers tell them to eat quickly which she worries about too.....she wont eat sandwiches at all, wont eat yogurt either.
She likes cheese, sausages anything little...but I am running out of things.

What I do put in she usually just nibbles and leaves and comes home starving!!!

Has anyone got any good ideas for what to put in her lunchbox that is different to the usual sanwiches??

Thanks in advance for any replies xxx
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-11-2008, 01:58 PM
will she eat pitta bread? you could try that if not small cubes of cheese carrot and cucumber, breadsticks with small tub of crean cheese, tuna and pasta, instead of sarnies make them into soldiers,tub of rice with peas and sweetcorn>. can you tell ive got 4 kids!!!!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2008, 02:02 PM
cheese cubes, does she like pasta you could make a pasta salad for her and some fresh fruit, although that does take time to eat. you could buy a bags of sultanas or currants and put them into indivdual servings for her.
Pitta bread is a good one you can load them up with all the foods she likes.
little tubs of dips and some crackers or bread sticks. Does she like the yoghurt drinks?
ndidi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Does she like the dairylea cheese dip things they do things called lunchables as well. I sm not sure how ehalthy they are but might be worth a try.

Ndidi
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Thanks guys, good ideas there...she is so fussy - she used to eat anything!
She wont eat the rice with peas, or the veg and dips...I may try a pita bread again but have done before, no yogurt things at all, ....do you think I am too soft ? should I just put stuff in and if shes hungry she'll eat it??

It is mostly due to the fact she wants to eat quickly and get out!! But she must be hungry with no breakfast.

Thanks again

Any more?
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2008, 02:08 PM
I'm lucky i have a daughter that eats EVERYTHING!!!!

Pitta bread usually goes down well, if she likes cheese would she eat crackers with cheese on?? Scotch eggs? (you can get mini ones)

Would she eat the sandwiches if you cut them into shapes? Or rolls instead of bread?

Maybe get her to make them with you, that sometimes helps, if they've made it themselves they are more likely to eat it.

Good luck!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Ask her. I know this sound crazy but when I was a Nursery Nurse we had a child (4yo) who wouldn't eat anything except plain pasta and used to cry every time she sat down for lunch. We cooked everything ourselves and all sat down for a fun, relaxed meal.
So, what we did was started to get her involved. We took her into the kitchen and showed her the fridge and talked about what we were going to make that day and how we were going to make it.
Then, when it was lucnhtime she was allowed, as a special treat to come and collect her own plate of lunch.
It worked a treat! It just distracted her from talking herslef into a fear of lunch.
It'll be tricky with your little one as you can't be there, but maybe try this at the weekends and then take it through to morning times.
Easier said than done maybe, but perhaps worth a try?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2008, 02:30 PM
When my son was that age he hated eating snadwiches, so I sympathise. He likes to have the samething every day...so he had pasta and ham! I stuck in a piece of fruit and a drink and that was that.
They don't get a lot of time to eat and my son found pasta and ham quick and easy, it's also very healthy. I would sometimes stick a gingerbread man in for some sugar to keep him going!
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2008, 03:14 PM
I sympathise. My 7 year old boy is a nightmare to feed! I have to give him crackers with butter, roast beef or ham (in a separate bag ) frubes, little sausages, a carton of orange or apple juice, cheesestring, fruit flakes, cheesey biscuits. Not all for one lunch, of course, I have to swap and change the above to keep him interested

I also put in a club biscuit or a penguin, something like that to keep his energy up but last week he kept eating the biscuit and leaving the rest, so I only put in a sandwich and a carton of juice one day (felt mean but kept threatening so thought I had better not keep dishing out empty threats). My oh my, did he complain when I picked him up. But he ate the sandwich cos he was hungry

It really is a case of keeping him interested. I think Pidge has a good idea (for both of us) her post has made me think that maybe I will take him to Tescos, get him a basket and let him pick and put his own lunches through one of the serve-yourself cash desks. I think he would enjoy that alot and maybe eat more because of his involvement (worth a try). I know it's not exactly what Pidge said but it's getting them involved, so thanks for that!

My son doesn't like breakfast either but I insist that he eat at least a yoghurt or some cheese and a glass of fresh fruit juice, otherwise he's not allowed to watch t.v.(that usually works). My older two girls have always been a dream to feed, so I don't know why he's like he is. It's nice to know that there are other picky kids like him though
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Ohhh I have an 8yr old exactly the same.. she doesn't eat enough to feed a sparrow!!

I have had so many letters and meetings at school about her "lunch" that I am fed up.. The teachers think we are starving her.. or can't afford to feed her LOL..

She won't eat cold meat or cheese (unless its on toast!) she will eat plain bread and plain mini pitta pockets,

So we now give her.. 2 mini pittas, pkt of crisps.. a yoghurt.. a jelly with fruit in and a kit kat or pkt animal biscuits..and either an apple or banana oh and some shortbread.. she picks at it but eats some..

My problem is I would rather see her eating crap than not eating at all
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >