Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
How about taking their credit card details off the card and giving them the card back. At the end of the day, you can always buy a new caravan online with those details.
:
I like your thinking Jackie! Good idea that one!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Gunshots????????? Blimey Jackie, what's been going on up your neck of the woods then?? Have you posted up????
It's in the post right below yours in Home, Garden, Food. Not a good night last night.

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I like your thinking Jackie! Good idea that one!
No problem
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 04:35 PM
I would look into the hire situation a bit more if I were you. I think it may be that you have to take out insurance on the van as you are going to be charging for it's use.

You may need to have public liability insurance to cover yourself in addition to insuring the caravan itself. Caravans are insured as a separate item and you can't add it to your car insurance - and I think if someone wanted to insure it themselves they would only be able to take out a year's insurance rather than for just a short period .

In this day and age of everyone sueing for anything I would be quite careful.

If you google caravan insurance you will find a few companies out there - the caravanning and camping club definitely used to do it but you may have to be a member.It has been a long time since I had a caravan
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 04:48 PM
Thanks for that info, I thought there might be a gremlin hiding somewhere! I did have my suspiscions on the insurance front, but thought they would be able to just add it onto their cars for the period of the hire, that's what we used to do with the horse trailers anyway. Thinking about it, when I had my mobile catering trailer, that was just an endorsement on the car policy, but like you say, it may only be possible to do that for the whole year? I'll definitely have to look into this won't I!!!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-04-2007, 05:51 PM
I think your rates are very reasonable especially if you can't hire them to tow only static.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2007, 01:32 AM
I agree with Lizziel.
What happens if it catches fire and you are sued if a mechanical or electrical fault is found? How often will you service it, particularly the gas system? Who will service it? You may find that the reason nobody does it, is because it's not viable. I looked into hiring out my motorhome and it is barely worth it even with the huge hire charges they attract due to the liability aspects needing to be adequately covered.
Personally, if I planned to use one for a short time I would buy one and sell it on afterwards. People here have even been known to goover on the ferry, pick one up in Wales and sell it before they get the ferry back!
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2007, 11:01 AM
I'd be very wary if I was you. We tow a caravan and its not easy. You'll be dealing with novice drivers as well, and I'm not sure how you'd go about wiht the insurance as its like car insurance and annual.
If someone drives off with it and had an accident you need to make sure you have 3rd person liability.
Have you thought of siting it somewhere premenatly and renting it out that way.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Hi Deccy, well it's only just been serviced from the company we bought it from. We will be selling it on as soon as our loft extension is finished anyways, we only bought it as a sanctuary for me and mum whilst they're making all the mess inside. I just thought whilst we don't need it at the week-ends, we could hire it out over the week-ends? After all, they've only got to hitch it up and drive away from our back driveway! It seems there's a bit too much involved with insurance etc. though to bother with it quite honestly!

Thanks Morganstar, but we'll be selling it on after our loft extension is complete, hopefully for what we paid for it. It was just a thought that I could hire it out over the week-ends when we didn't actually need it here for our own use, plus of course that woman who wants to put it in their back garden for the whole month of July for the same reasons we got it! I think it's gonna cost me more than it's worth with the insurance etc. to hire it out so I might forget this idea altogether! Hopefully I can persuade Dave that we need to keep it for week-end breaks though! I'm working on that one also!
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2007, 11:17 AM
My sister and family have just hired a caravan for 4 days as they were having central heating put in, it cost them £140
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by crazycockers View Post
My sister and family have just hired a caravan for 4 days as they were having central heating put in, it cost them £140
Ohh, that's interesting, thanks for that! I don't suppose you can find out any information for me please, such as deposit paid, what insurance type they had with it??? That would be very helpful to me if you could! Thanks for that
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2