Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kuja
New Member!
Female 

16-07-2011, 05:44 PM

Volunteering near Newcastle

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but it seemed like the most appropriate section.

I feel a bit silly posting on a dog forum only to say I have never owned a dog or even looked after one for any length of time. I have spent time with dogs on only a few occasions even, but I love them to bits (and all other animals) and would really like to help out at a rescue.

I don't care if it's cleaning or dirty jobs but I just want to help out if I can. The problem is I live in Tyneside and the two large rescue centres there do not want volunteers for the near future, and most of the others I am unable to get to on public transport.

So here's the question:

Does anyone know of any rescue services in Tyneside (that can be reached easily by the Metro service or public transport) that would like help? I have a lot of experience with rabbits and hamsters and I like cats too so would be able to help with those as well as dogs if needed.

Sorry if this is not appropriate/too long!
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Hiya, welcome to Dogsey

First things first..a post on Dogsey can NEVER be too long
Its fab that you want to try & help out..which rescues have you tried? I'm originally from Gateshead so I know the metro system etc quite well & if I can help you I will
Kuja
New Member!
Female 

17-07-2011, 07:56 AM
Thanks Rubster

I have tried the Benton and Claremont shelters but they don't want volunteers at the moment. There's also an RSPCA kennels/farm but I can't really get to it as it's a bit out of the way without a car.

I live on the Newcastle side but as long as I can get to somewhere in about an hour I don't mind where it is.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2011, 08:08 AM
Don't know if either of these are any good but found them on google:-
Tyne and Wear

Brysons Animal Refuge
Galloping Green Road, Eighton Banks, Gateshead
Tel: 0191 487 5858
Email: info@brysons.org.uk
www.brysons.org.uk

Pawz for Thought
Tel: 0191 549 1982
www.pawzforthought.org
Hope you get something
Kuja
New Member!
Female 

17-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Thanks

I have had a look at Brysons before but it seems to be far away from the Metro line and so would probably be too difficult to get to. Pawz for Thought I can't find an exact location for but I will send them a message and see if they want help and roughly where they are (I understand them not wanting to put the location of the shelter online)

It's at times like this I really wish I had a car