Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
younglady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2006, 12:29 PM

how long should I be walking my dog?

i need some advice....i have just taken over walkies duties with my staffie and was wondering how long everyone recommends that i walk him for each day as at the moment i only walking him for about 20mins to 30mins and was worried that i wasnt walking him enough, he is slightly podgy (as u can see from his adorable pic!) so i need to know how long to walk him as i want him to be a happy and healthy staff!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2006, 12:31 PM
china walks for about 45 mins each day...however each dog is different...how much energy do they have at the end?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Hi Younglady welcome to Dogweb ..providing your dog is not a puppy..and I note he isn't, exercise is very good.

I would say the ideal is regular walks, a mixture of on and off the lead partly good brisk walk and partly 'pottering ' and that a couple of walks daily are better than the odd long walk both for the physical and mental well being of dogs and humans!

Also if your dog is not used to a lot of exercise build it up slowly and make sure you are not overfeeding, as my vet says very few dogs die as the result of being 'over thin' .
younglady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2006, 01:21 PM
think i may up his walk to about 45mins (only problem is theres hardly anywhere to walk round my way!) thanks for help peeps :smt026 :smt041