Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-04-2014, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
VAT is Value Added Tax - like Sales Tax in the US.
Ah, but the difference is that sales tax in the US is around 6%, depending on the state and can be avoided altogether if you order by post from out of state. VAT is an EU directive and is currently 20% in the UK.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-04-2014, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Is any pet care a luxury?
We pay vat on virtually everything so I'm a bit bewildered as to where the luxury comes into it.

I've just forked out around £1500 for diagnostic tests, xrays and pain killers + euthanasia for one of my dogs and can't say I gave the vat a second thought if I'm honest.
So that bill of £1500 would have been nearer to £1100 without VAT. You may not have considered this pivotal in deciding on treatment for your pet at the time, but in the cold light of day where would you rather that £400 now resided, in your pocket or the government's?
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by colesy99 View Post
Apologies for those who may deem this spamming, but my cat was put to sleep on Saturday, inspired by this I have made a petition attempting to abolish VAT on emergency pet care. This is on behalf of myself and everyone I know who has received sky high vet bills.

Please sign this if you have ever experienced or know anybody who has experienced high emergency vet bills. It is not a luxury to save a pets life, and shouldn't be taxed as such.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petition...gency-pet-care
I agree and have signed it
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-04-2014, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
So that bill of £1500 would have been nearer to £1100 without VAT. You may not have considered this pivotal in deciding on treatment for your pet at the time, but in the cold light of day where would you rather that £400 now resided, in your pocket or the government's?
Taxation is part of life, whether I like it or not it won't change. I don't like the fact that I have an incurable disease requiring medication for life that I have to pay prescription charges for either but life's too short to moan. Money doesn't stay in government pockets for long does it, it pays for the things we take for granted like the nhs.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2014, 01:18 PM
Taxation is part of life, whether I like it or not it won't change. I don't like the fact that I have an incurable disease requiring medication for life that I have to pay prescription charges for either but life's too short to moan. Money doesn't stay in government pockets for long does it, it pays for the things we take for granted like the nhs.
Exactly ! I just hope what I pay goes towards something useful.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-04-2014, 01:26 PM
Agreed, taxation is part of life, but the Government does have discretion as to where taxation is applied and the level set. The OP just feels it is unjust to impose VAT on emergency medical care and I agree with him.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2014, 01:31 PM
It would be a minefield not to levy the charge. Probably cause all sorts of problems deciding what was a emergency and what wasn't. An administrative nightmare for the vets.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

04-04-2014, 01:32 PM
Agreed, taxation is part of life, but the Government does have discretion as to where taxation is applied and the level set. The OP just feels it is unjust to impose VAT on emergency medical care and I agree with him.
I just don't see why any pet care should be exempt when other essentials in life are not and why then only emergency vet care? The op isn't even talking about a large sum, vet fees are part of pet ownership and I don't know why anyone would be surprised that vet fees include vat.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-04-2014, 01:45 PM
I just don't see why any pet care should be exempt when other essentials in life are not and why then only emergency vet care? The op isn't even talking about a large sum, vet fees are part of pet ownership and I don't know why anyone would be surprised that vet fees include vat.
It may not seem a large sum to you but the OP is probably not so well off. And he didn't say he was surprised at VAT being added, only that he feels it is unjust.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

04-04-2014, 01:50 PM
It may not seem a large sum to you but the OP is probably not so well off. And he didn't say he was surprised at VAT being added, only that he feels it is unjust.
Whether I'm financially better off than him I wouldn't know or care, pet ownership isn't cheap and it's not compulsory either. We choose to own pets and need to evaluate whether or not we can afford them.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »