Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
she has the chain because they cant have her loose. she is on the main part of the farm, but they have fields across the road, and with it being a farm, not everywhere is secure. the dog is secured to the kennel so she still has enough space to roam about, but cant get out anywhere or on to the road.
So, basically it's a cheap way of keeping her in one place? I suspect if they have a lot of land they could fence off a large space for her and a kennel/shelter...and bingo, no need for a chain.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 06:44 PM
think the dog is 3 now, maybe a bit older im not sure. so is keeping her on a chain different to keeping her in a kennel and run? i dont really see the difference, and plenty of people use kennels and runs.
she doesnt get used as an alarm system (she didnt even bark when i went in, just looked and wagged her tail then i went and said hello)
im not trying to defend it, like i said its something i wouldnt do, but the dog is a happy dog and is well looked after. i see no issue with that.
The dog didn't do a lot when you arrived? Normal behaviour for a dog? I think not.
Define 'happy'....sounds like she is displaying learned helplessness to me.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 06:45 PM
yes i cant imagine she would ever bite anyone. she isnt aggressive. (like i said she was lay down sun bathing and barely batted an eyelid when i got out of the car) but then again she knows that car and the person who got out of it so maybe she would be different if it was someone she didnt know.
So she knows the person, I am assuming, but could well be wrong, the owner's daughter? And she lay there..... Normal????
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I think that with this being a mainly pet dog forum, the overall feeling will be that dogs should be living indoors - and probably on the couch or in the bed too However, the sort of dogs that usually kept outdoors (ie working dogs - sheepdogs, police dogs, gundogs, sleddogs etc) are the sort of breeds that are built for outdoor living. Some may even consider it unfair on a dog with a thick, double coat to have it living in a house with central heating. Or unfair for a dog that has been bred to work living in a house in surburbia, where the owners work full time, and the dog gets bored and fat. Has anyone thought of that?

There are all different ways to look at the same situation.
Tango was always kennelled as you know. She grew a thick coat to cope with it. I would be interested to see if she would be happier in a kennel or on the sofa...I suspect I know the answer.
Comparing two situations (fat dog in suburbia with chained working dog, not that this rotti is working...or is it...there seems to be confusion) does not make either situation right. It makes them both wrong still,so why waste time trying to compare them/
I will not comment on the barrels.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Exactly. People only believe what they want to. They dont seem to understand that the dog doesn't spend it's life on the chain. I too am still waiting for the reply as to why a kennel and run is different.
A kennel and run is totally different because the dog is able to move freely around the kennel and run without the risk of the chain being caught on something and the dog being killed. A kennel and run is better because it offers shelter to the dog. A kennel and run is better because it offers security to the dog.
A kennel and run for 2 or more dogs, large and carefully designed is better because there is social interaction.
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2012, 06:53 PM
I wonder about people that choose to only pick one thing that the dog does (goes to the pub with the owners) and ignores all other activities it is loose to do every day more likely getting more exercise than most house dogs.

I don't like chains but I have not been to these peoples home to know if a fenced area would be a feasible idea or one that would work. Now if the dog was on said chain 24/7 that would be a problem, as it has been said it is not then why keep putting up links about the evil of chaining dogs up for 24/7????
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by chaospony View Post
I wonder about people that choose to only pick one thing that the dog does (goes to the pub with the owners) and ignores all other activities it is loose to do every day more likely getting more exercise than most house dogs.

I don't like chains but I have not been to these peoples home to know if a fenced area would be a feasible idea or one that would work. Now if the dog was on said chain 24/7 that would be a problem, as it has been said it is not then why keep putting up links about the evil of chaining dogs up for 24/7????
because actually you have no idea how long the dog is off the chain for. Because of the comments I have posted about a kennel and run. I wonder how much damage this dog did to it's neck when it was younger and learning that trying to escape the chain was pointless...
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2012, 07:03 PM
I'm sorry if I missed it, but is there some reason why she has always lived outside? Is she never allowed into the house?
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Did she?? Can you point us to that bit please

Nobody assumes anything, we can only comment on what is posted .
Here you go, most of these were replies directed to you....

fine i shall use the word watch dog. like i said my friend used the term "guard" very loosely, and may of even meant it in a jokey way, as she doesnt particularly guard. (like ive mentioned she was sunbathing when i got there and hardly batted an eye lid at me)

and ive said, for them, her mum doesnt have animals in the house. they never have according to my friend, so maybe thats why the dog lives outside.. nothing wrong with it really, the dog is loved and well looked after. she is exercised for the majority of the day.. so again i dont see the problem.

what is the difference of this dog, to some of your dogs? who get shut in the kitchen when you go out etc? nothing in my eyes.
and yes as ive put since maybe i should of used the word watch, as guard was used very loosely as my friend, and she didnt do much guarding when i walked in
How many times do I have I says he used the term guard loosley and maybe I should of put watch instead of guard?She doesn't guard and attack passers by! You're makin her doing like a viscous aggressive animal when she isn't.
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
because actually you have no idea how long the dog is off the chain for. Because of the comments I have posted about a kennel and run. I wonder how much damage this dog did to it's neck when it was younger and learning that trying to escape the chain was pointless...
Well the OP did say early in this thread that the dog spent sod all time on the chain, as it was normally out with the owner doing work on the farm, or going out with them when they ride the horse, and even when they go down to the pub.
Page 17 of 50 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 > Last »